Door Alignment

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by babailey, Feb 20, 2011.

1. babailey

babailey Member

OK, the passenger door has been poorly aligned since I purchased my truck. I got a new set of hinges hoping that would help. It may have helped but not that I can tell.

So, I still have to lift the door when I close it so that it will close and latch. Once closed the gap at the back of the door is about right, the gap at the top is about 1/4 inch low, and the gap at the front is about right at the top but too close at the bottom.

I am thinking that my fender may be out of alignment and since the door hinges attach to the fender, that is causing my issue. How do I get all these parts aligned?

Thanks!

2. mikebte

mikebte Member

Is anyone help you with this issue. I have found if you can close the door and have someone life and hold the door were all the seals are sealed then you can tighten it and adjust the fender after words. I know my fender is not hooked to my door.

You can see in the photo below were your door hooks to the fram of the cab.

Pick Is From LMCtruck.com and If you need more pics you can find more there and get a free mag from them.

Attached Files:

• 0025.jpg
      0025.jpg
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. babailey

babailey Member

I got the door adjusted enough to allow it to close properly now (or at least close and latch without lifting and slamming). Unfortunately, the gaps around the door are not yet correct so I have more adjusting to do.

Thanks for the pic, I should have looked at that myself (I often miss the easy examples).

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Be aware that when new , the doors weren't very well aligned .

If it closes well , I'd leave it alone as the next step is to cut the outer skin off the door and re - weld it on so the gaps look O.K. .

5. babailey

babailey Member

Thanks for the Heads-Up Nate. I assumed that I would have an even gap if all was aligned properly.

She opens and closes whit not too much effort (not necessarily easy, but no longer requires a gorilla).

I think rewelding the door skin is a little too extreme, especially for Blue Thunder.