Door Glass Frustration

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Danz55, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Danz55

Danz55 Member

I don't have a lot more hair to pull out! I'm rebuilding the vent and side windows on a 1955. So far I've broken two pieces of new vent glass and one side glass trying to get the glass and glass setting tape into the frames. Manuals say to put oil into the frames and to soak the setting tape in oil before trying to install. I've done that and then you end up with a slippery mess.
    Anyone actually done this and have some good hints to lessen the frustration?

2. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

I didn't soak anything in oil. You might have to use a little WD-40 though. Also, I had to double up the tape,use two thicknesses, to get a tight fit.
    If you have wood workers clamps ,plastic jawed, you can use them to ease in the glass.
    Bob

3. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Hey,

Just use a bar of soap Rub it in the channels and it will slide right in.That is my trick to do them .:D They are a pain in the butt but this will help you.Make sure you use the right setting tape in the right channel.

Cliff

4. Richsrides

Richsrides Member

Once you have selected the right thickness of glass setting tape ( double if necessary & cut relieve slits on the curve of the wing vent ) I soak the tape in laquer thinner put on the glass and use a rubber malet to drive it home. Once the thinner has dried it will be set.

Good Luck!