Door Weatherstripping/ Spring hangers

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Elky67, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Elky67

Elky67 Member

I just recently installed(glued in) the weatherstripping from our host on my right
    door, and after doing this, you hardly can close the door anymore.
    You really have to slam her shut, and most times it does not reach the second
    stage.

Now you could say, you prolly glued it in the wrong way, you idiot, but believe me, i´ve checked several times, to be sure:confused:

I´ve also let the door shut about a fortnight, to let the rubber settle, but in my opinion didn´t make a big difference.

Has any of you guys discovered the same problem?
    I read somewhere on the net, that they sell door weatherstripping, that "fits"
    your truck right, not too thick, as anybody else's??

Thank you for helping here, as the left door is about ready, to be assembled and wondering, if i should use another product...

Another thing, that bothers me, i also bought the complete front and rear spring hangers, with bolts and bushings etc, upon installation, i figured, that the new hangers just have a straight bore, instead of a taper, like my original
    ones have. This way, the hangers only sit on a tiny edge on the spring bolts, as these are tapered each end.
    Is this Taiwan teddys mistake, and or cheap quality stuff i got there?:mad:
    Any thoughts or comments??

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Now you have to adjust your striker plate to find a happy medium. Your strikers are adjusted for collapsed, hard rubber.....you now have nice fluffy rubber that seals. Slide the plate out just enough that the door latches flush ( as much as these ever did) with the body without slamming hard enough to break the windows.

3. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

If I understand your spring hangar question correctly.... I used our host's spring shackle kits as well, with no problems. I had to study the flat plates thoroughly to make sure they were put on "right side out". They do have a taper to the holes in them, and when installed over the ends of the shackle pins, tightened nicely with full engagement to the pins. If yours do not fit this well, there may be a problem with that 'batch'. Mine were ordered at different times, and all came out correct. If I didn't understand your problem, try me again. Hope this helps.

4. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Yeah

Bilbo, you got it right. I ordered some of these hangers early this year, they were perfect, i just put them on, no problem. They were tapered as the originals.

The front ones, i ordered about two weeks ago, seemed to be from a different supplier(but also got them from CP). I tried them both ways and after looking closely, there is no taper at all, just a straight hole:eek:

I probably have to talk to CP and tell them, that these are BS.

Thanks for help on this.

5. bowtiesr4me

bowtiesr4me Member

I did the same on my '48 WOW what a difference! I adjusted the keepers and still have to slam the doors, but they shut tight and no air or rain comes in!!!
    They will get easier then you will have to re-adjust the keepers again.
    HAGD

6. Zig

Zig Member

New rubbers

The only problem with slamming the door shut is when you get in the family car and slam that door shut. :eek:
    First words out of your wife's mouth?
    "So what are you upset about?" :rolleyes: