Double Action Fuel Pump / Wipe Tube vs manifold?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Jul 25, 2018.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

Anyone have an opinion on reconnecting the Windshield wiper tube. When we had our 235 engine running we had the W/S wiper tube running off the manifold (the port that sticks out just under the carb), however I noticed that we have a double action fuel pump that has a port sticking out.
    So question:

Does it matter where you connect the Windshield wiper tube (either off Manifold or Gas Pump?
    Is one way better then the other or the same?

If I choose to connect in either location, I assume I should block off the other port?

Actually now thinking about it, my father in law who own the truck before, I think had disconnected the Windshield wipers and had the tube run from the manifold to the gas pump.. Does that make any sense?

It has been about 4 years since we had the truck running. We have been working on the body and getting it repaired and now since the truck is back we are working on getting everything put back together and running again.

-James

Specs:
    53 Chevy Pickup 3100 235 Engine

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Remove both hoses from the fuel pump vacuum section. Block the port into the manifold. Start the engine. Put your finger on each tube one at a time. Determine which one has vacuum and which has pressure. Attach the tube that has vacuum to the wiper motor. Attach the one that has pressure to the intake manifold.

3. mockoski

mockoski Member

Thank you sir, I really appreciate the tip!

Btw, I just went under the car to look at the two ports on the Fuel Pump and noticed oil coming from them.. Is this normal?

James

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Nope, not normal.

5. mockoski

mockoski Member

Darn, I guess I am headed towards a new pump...

Thanks again for the advice!