drivers window off track?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by williamb82, Feb 23, 2010.

1. williamb82

williamb82 Member

well, i bought a 66 for the cab and front clip about a year ago. the drivers side window is ofdf the track or something. we shoved a piece of rubber hose between the window and door to keep the window up. i have the old doors from my old cab as the windows roll up and down fine. i pulled the door panel and man, that is a tiny hole. i dont think my big arms can fit in there at all honestly.

anyhow, i have my truck at my house now and am able to work on it whenever i feel like now. first thing i want to do is get the window working right. then i got a lil rust on the roof to fix and some holes in the sides of the cab where the custom cab plates go (a previous owner put 1.5in holes in for some kind of lock apparently. guy i bought it from removed them so i have holes all the way through tothe inside of the cab). it came from texas so very minor surface rust. it is solid. im going to weld in sheet metal from my old doors to fix it as the bottom of the old doors and top edge are rusted anyway.

is there a writeup or exploded diagram somewhere for the door window/regulator setup? maybe i can get one of my scrawny friends to fix it for me. lol.

btw, ive been on this site before. some of you may remember the truck.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235741

bed is sitting on it but the cab, front clip, and bed are not bolted down yet. i bought a house in novemember so havent done anything to it for a long time. gonna start buying whats needed to put it together. also plan to pull the motor and sand blast it, then paint it, change the freeze plugs, remove the pan and clean it out, new front and rear main seals, new timing chain, my m/t valve covers with new gaskets, new valve stem seals, maybe new valve springs while im at it. my torker intake, headman headers, performer plus cam and lifters, new cap, rotor, wires, etc... just get it all cleaned up and looking nice. and itll be painted right, not just a cheapo spray job painiting over everything at once. all brackets will be done seperate and bolted back on etc.... also gonna install the summit stainless engine bolt kit. also since the new cab had all the stuff for the heater im going to hook up the heater so there will be a working defroster. comes in handy with all the rain we get here. ive got lots planned for it. hopefully i get a raise at work soon so i can keep it. otherwise once its together ill hae to sell it. with a new house money is tight. luckily im getting a decent tax return this year.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

In order to work on / remove the window the vent window needs to be removed.
    Remove the vent window bolts, lift the vent straight up and give it a half turn when near the top.
    You then have the room to get the window track back on the regulator, if that's the problem.

The entire procedure is documented in the Factory Service Manual. The manual can be purchased here at Classic Parts America and is the best money you will spend on getting your truck back.

dv

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  3. williamb82

williamb82 Member

ill deff be purchasing it. i just hope its an easy fix. i got so much to do to the truck as it is. guess thats what happens when you try to fix up a 46 year old truck. lol