Dual Rear Wheel Installation

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Brogar698, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Brogar698

Brogar698 Guest

I'm new to the forum and I'd like to get an answer to this question. I have a 1979 GMC one ton dually pick-up and I need some help installing the rear wheels. What pieces go on in what order on the rear axle? I know the two rims go on opposite of each other (one fits over/around the drum, the other faces out) but I have some sort of ring that fits over the lug studs. The ring is flat on one side, is slightly raised around each of the eight lug stud holes and has two pins 180 degrees apart from each other. Where on the installation does this ring go and which way does it face? Secondly, most car/truck rims are centered on the lug studs by a bevel or shank on each of the lug nuts. How are BOTH wheels centered on the lug studs in a dually installation? Thanx for your answers. I know I'll be back to this site with questions as I progress through this project.

2. oldpickup

oldpickup Member

Jason Richardson
    1975 K20 BB454
    1976 K20 BB454
    1980 K30 soon to be BB502

the ring goes on the out side with the two pins facing outward. as for the cenering the wheels, on the duelleys they center up on the hub center.

hope that helps you out any more questions just email me at com45combat@aol.com , just about all i have now is duel rear wheel and nothing lighter than at least a 3/4 ton

3. tech1

tech1 Member

The ring goes on after both wheels are on(raised side in). The ring and 8 lug nuts should keep it center if they dont somethings wrong.