eddlebrock 600

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 78silverado454, Feb 12, 2002.

1. 78silverado454

78silverado454 Member

I recently bought a 78 chevy c10 with a 454. I went into autozone to buy a new carb. The guy gave me a holly 600 wich didn't have a vacuum secondary. He did it again. Finally, he said, I've never heard of what your talking about. Then, he went and looked at his display model. It had a port for a vacuum advanced. It was a eddlebrock 600. I asked him in the beggining if 600 cfm would be enough. He said yes, your carb now is only a 450 cfm. So I took his word for it. Big mistake. It didn't have a linkage for the transmition kickdown. But I thought it was the cruise control linkage that didn't work anyway. So, I disconnected it and took it off. I took it for a test drive. And it backfired, several times, died a couple of times. And now I found out that the JEG's recommends a 750. I went to take it back, he wouldn't accept it because he said he couldn't re-sell it. Yet, he's the one who gave me the carb in the first place. I had his assistant look up the carb that is supposed to go on there and it said a 750. What should I do? Who should I call? My truck isn't working and I already have 350.00 into it because of all the modifications to the air cleaner, the fuel hose and the vacuum hoses. If anyone has some advice. Please contact me.
    thank you,
    John

2. hillbilly_1974

hillbilly_1974 Member

i would talk to his manager,and if he's no help,call the main office. i had the same problem here in palestine texas,and i finally got another one. i needed one for a 355 sb i built. i needed a 750 manual choke and they gave my wife a 600. after running the carb and finding out what it was,i took it back and complained. i finally got my 750 the next day. although it was on the box the cfm of the carb,i did not look at the label,in a big hury i guess. maybe i just got lucky,but give it a try. hope this helps. chris