EFI and Overdrive in my 79??

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by arcticstomper, Feb 4, 2002.

1. arcticstomper

arcticstomper Member

Has anyone put a newer motor and tranny in an older chevy without spending ton's of money???

Something to improve fuel mileage and eventually improve the overall ride quality of the truck.

It is a 79 K20 4x4.

Trying to make it go so the wife won't hate it.:(

2. 69STEPSIDE

69STEPSIDE Member

i have put a 95 tbi sys. in my 78 4by .just the motor i got from a salvage yard computer and all. the 95 i think is the better choice because of the "power box" if you call it that it has all fuses and relays in it all you have to do is put 12volts to it and find the fuel pump wire "grey" get an elec. fuel pump from this year and sender for fuel injection from an 87 truck with fuel injection and it pops right in you will have to hook up your gauges but it is simple the motor,wiring harness,comp. i got for $1500.00 the motor had 80k on it i changed oil and put it in. now since i did not use trans, transfor case the comp. does not know gears or speed so it sets a trans code for no speed sensor. you also have to have a wire diag. for a 95 to hook uup an aldl "the plug under the dash for the comp. scanner to test codes now the reason i did not use trans.etc.is that a 95 is set on the opposite side for driveshaftif you can get around this it would be great mine is a 5spd stick with od.it works pretty good. you might be able to use a auto trans.and get an trans to transfer case adapter from advanced adapters so you can use the factory trans plugs for shift and speed? have not done that though but it is still going to ride like a 79 ha!ha! hhope this helps