Encouragement for Zig

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Jul 1, 2007.

1. coilover

coilover Member

Here's some pics of a 51 that we did over 30 years ago (proves GMC's hold up well) that came back in recently to be converted over to R134 freon. It wore out the 472 cadillac engine and now has a new (rebuilt) 500. Altogether over 200k miles plus the 100k+ miles from the six banger. The seat is a cut down six way power front seat from a 74 sedan deville and since no one had power window kits back then the power windows have an AD window crank gear on the cadillac p/w motor shaft and is mounted so it uses the factory AD window regulator gear. Converted to push button doors handles and the factory cadillac a/c blows out through the radio grill. I cannot remember what the rear bumper you asked about came from other than it was for a rice burner pickup in the 70's. The pics are recent and in real life it has rock chips, light brush scratches, and stains around the fuel filler but still very presentable. Just think, your truck can look forward to at least 300k miles.

Attached Files:

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Evan, it's got to make you feel good to know that something you did 30 years ago still looks that good. Way to go! As for Zig:rolleyes:, well, we'll see;)

3. Zig

Zig Member

Hey now! I'll make it~ just you watch-n-see!

Evan, thanks for the pictures of a beautiful GMC! I love the interior door panels. I've gotta redo mine. The cardboard(?) ones from Br------ lasted a whole two years! weeha. I like the use of the '48 grill. They are a tad more interesting then the 50's on up. Great job!

Now to paddle my boat out to my tuck, dive in the water and get to work on it. Another day, another 1 1/2" of rain... Not complaining, just in awe.

4. 54chevtruck

54chevtruck Member

Ha Evan what is with the chain driven steering column ? Have to say I have never seen that one done before.

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Good eye, Steve!

Yeah, what's up with that?

6. Zig

Zig Member

Oh! Oh! Pick me!!!

I (believe it or not) HAVE seen this done before! A clever way to "get around things".

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looks nice ! :)

8. coilover

coilover Member

Have used chain steering setups for years if shafts and U-joints would require a weird steering column angle or there is not room around the exhaust. Timing chains go for a hundred thousand miles at rpm's sometimes over 4000 rpm and a double roller chain would twist that 3/4" steering shaft like a pretzel and never feel the strain. As slow as it turns for steering it should last indefinitely with a squirt of chain lube every year or so. The sprockets must be in near perfect alignment or it's trouble. As a kid I remember stopping a zillion times, turning my bike upside down and guiding the chain back on the sprocket. A greasy chain and freshly washed clothes would always make my mother less than proud.

9. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

10. Zig

Zig Member

Rats- cat's out of the bag! I was going to put them on the front wheels also!
    ...spoiled my big surprise...

11. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

But the swamp cooler is just too ....................... cool.

Of course with Houston's high humidity they don't work around here.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

13. Chiro

Chiro Member

Hey Evan,

Just for my info and future reference exactly how was that 74 Caddy seat cut down for the AD pickup in those pictures? Lowered? Made more narrow? What??? What??? How did you do it? I'm assuming that the tank is now under the bed in that truck as well.

BTW, your workmanship just floors me.

Andy

14. Zig

Zig Member

Hmm~ I wonder why Andy wants to know the particulars about the seat?

15. coilover

coilover Member

Andy, the seat was narrowed by removing a section out of the center of both the bottom and back. It's been a long time but I think the fold down armrest was narrowed also. Pretty sure some of the framework was aluminum and had to be tig welded. All of the 51 seat riser was trimmed away and the dip in the floor pan leveled so the cad seat track mounts had a flat mounting surface. The gas tank is under the bed because with the thick seat all the way against the back of the cab a slightly plump belly requires the tilt wheel to be in the up position. The man who owns it actually has to run the seat about halfway forward.