engine change

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by GRIGSTWO, Nov 16, 2001.

1. GRIGSTWO

GRIGSTWO Member

I have a 1980 c-20 that had a 454 which I want to replace with a 350. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I'm using the original 400 transmission. My biggest concern is with the engine mounts. What modifications do I need to do if any to the mounts? Any help would be greatful. Thank You

2. Customdeluxe20

Customdeluxe20 Member

I would like to swap you my 350 for your 454 but anyway. All you have to do is pull out BB and install Small block. All your mts. and bell and all that will work. Flywheel and starter will need to match, and of course your exhaust will need to be reworked. Ain't Chevy great !!

3. 78subgeorge

78subgeorge Member

Make sure you get all the accessory brackets & pulleys for the small block.
    Here in N. California there's a guy that makes the rounds at the swap meets. He only buys & sells accessory brackets, pulleys, etc.

Be aware that the big block brackets are much less common, especially for power steering. When the swap meet guy offered to trade straight across to give me small block brackets to get Big Block brackets, I knew he needed them pretty badly.

4. GRIGSTWO

GRIGSTWO Member

Thanks again for all of your help.

5. GRIGSTWO

GRIGSTWO Member

Thanks again for all of your help.

6. Dukes1967C20

Dukes1967C20 Member

you don't want to use the 454 flywheel,because it has a counter balance weight on it. it might cause the 350 to vibrate/shake. the 454 is externally balanced and the 350 is internaly balanced. P.S. If you have the A/C compressor bracket for the 454, do you want to sell it? if so how much?:7