Engine Idea?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Bonanza78, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Bonanza78

Bonanza78 Member

Ok, this may be strange but bear with me. If I took the parts lying around in my garage and built a "mystery motor" this is what it would be. A 72 307 block with a mid 80's 350 crank and rods with 305 heads. It computes to 328 cubic inches. It seems as though it would be a torque engine as the stroke is long, and the bores are small. Does anyone think this will work? Has anyone been brave (drunk) enough to try this? It seems as though the only limiting factor is the bore size limits the size of the valves, but I am looking for torque, not HP anyway. Has anyone ever done anything with a 307?

Just a thought...

Jason

2. 78subgeorge

78subgeorge Member

If memory serves me right, a 307 uses a 3.25" stroke crank with a 3.875" bore. That would be like a stroked 283, or a 327 with 1/8" smaller bore.

Adding a 350 crank increases the stroke to 3.48". Now you have a 283 with a 1/2" stroke. This assumes that the main journal diameters are the same for the 307 block & the 350 crank. otherweise, more machine work. Also the 350 crank may require some clearance at the bottom of the bores.

I don't think you will find pistons at any reasonable price.
    IF you could bore the engine to 4.00", you would have a 350.

You would need pistons with a deep dish to keep the compression ratio sane with the 305 heads.

Why not pick up a 350 short block or long block that won't need any machine work or unusual parts? Maybe someone will buy your miscellaneous parts....

:)

3. banjo

banjo Member

the toss it in a bag and shake it up works ok if your coon hunting
    most of the parts from the late 60s to the mid 80s are some what compataple. the expertise is in the balancing and blue brinting.
    have fun

4. wondra77

wondra77 Member

I agree with 78subgeorge unless you had a surefire plan why reinvent the wheel? 350 blocks are everywhere but if you want torque how about a 292-6cyl.