Engine numbers.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by gdmitch, Sep 20, 2022.

1. gdmitch

gdmitch Member

I cn't seem to figure out my engine numbers and dates. I have a 235 engine, but it has the "captains bars" on the block. (thougt that was for 261) Behind the distributer is LAQ123413, behind the starter is Con B273, on drivers side of the head is (I think from what i can read) 3701887. I've looked at several sites for numbers but can't seem to find these. Any help from you pro's would be appreciated. Thanks!!

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The B 27 3 is a casting date. Feb 27, 19x3

This site 1941 - 1957 Chevrolet Engine Identification says that LAQ serial number prefix is for a 1953 235ci Chevy Engine w/ a Powerglide transmission that was built in Tonawanda NY. This would mean it was from a Chevy car (no Powerglides in '53 trucks) and I think (but I'm not a 235 expert) that it would have hydraulic valve lifters. The 123413 is just a sequential serial number, starting at 1001.

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The captain's bars wound up being on lots of 235 engines as well because they were flying out the door as fast as the Bowtie Division could build them .

Removing the vertical side cover on the engine and looking at the tops of the cam followers will tell you *instantly* if you have hydraulic tappets or not .

They're not a good thing to have, I'd not change them but if they're solid you're in a better place .

Adjustment for either typ is easy and needs to be done annually, if you've not yet done it, this is way past due .