engine swap

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by carlfranklin, Aug 15, 2007.

1. carlfranklin

carlfranklin Member

I have a 1966 chev. c-10 stepside 250motor would like to know if i can swap it out with a 350/700R4 will i need to changeing the motor mounts?
    Will the rear-end be able to handle the 350?
    What is the best donor truck for swaping to front disk brakes,power st?

2. 283 man

283 man Member

Wecome to form. your rearend will be able to handle that combonation.early 70s chevy trucks are good donors.:D probably be good idea get new motor mounts.

3. carlfranklin

carlfranklin Member

sorry iwas trying to say is will i need to move the motor mounts on the truck or will the 350 bolt up there?

4. 283 man

283 man Member

thats ok no need say sorry this form has lots of good information to help out,lots of good people here,I changed a 250 6 banger 10 years back. Mounted the 283 no modifactions shouldnt have any problems with 350 mounting up wont hurt buy new mounts for 350 motor.

5. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

283 man is right, your best option for upgrading parts is any newer truck up to about 1987, Chevrolet re-designed their trucks from the ground up for 1998.

I believe your truck will actually already have what it needs to mount a small block into it. If you take your 250 6cyl out you will notice the motor mounts with the rubber vibration pad (connected to the motor) will unbolt from the "spacer" motor mount that the trucks use to support the 6 cylinder motor. By removing this "spacer piece and using the single bolt to mount the rubber mount (that was attached to the motor) directly to the arched motor mount perches (that bolts from the frame rail to the cross memeber...) Your done.

As for the transmission, you will need to cut out the existing cross members that support the tranny (unless its already and automatic truck, in which case you just need to move the member back) find a 80's chevrolet Blazer tranny cross member and get creative. watch your driveshaft angle! Oh yeah, you will need to get a new driveshaft made. I used one from an early 80's long box chevy truck (larger size u-joint) cut it, welded it, balanced it and then used a u-joint that had two different sizes of bearing caps so it would mount up to the existing smaller size rear end yoke.

Good luck!

6. billydonn

billydonn Member

Leyland and others are right. It is a very simple bolt in operation except for moving the transmission support and keeping the axis of the crank/tranny the same as it was. You can get new engine mounts at NAPA since 283s and 327s were in the 66 trucks. I would just have the old driveshaft shortened and new front yoke put in by a competent shop... the rear end yoke (1310) is good for most reasonable cruising power. Anybody know if a tranny crossmember from a 64-66 truck with a powerglide would work on the 700R4? I'd be interested to know.