Exhaust for '73 C-10 Stepside

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by robby329, Jan 7, 2007.

1. robby329

robby329 Member

So i like really loud exhaust systems, but i don't know what to go for. Soon, i will be putting a .490/.490 lift cam, a high rise intake manifold, and a 600-700cfm carb on my stock 350 motor. The exhaust idea i had was full length headers, 2 1/2 pipes running back to two flowmaster 40's and then turndowns before the rearend. Is this exhaust setup with my new engine mods going to be loud enough for my taste? Is it still going to remain in a legal db range?

2. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I have a similar setup with a 305 and it sounds pretty good. RV cam (dont know the specs), weiand manifold, quadrajet carb full headers two flowmasters with 2.25 inch pipes (I think). It rumbles when at idle and when you rev it up has that classic flowmaster sound. I've never had anyone complain about it being too loud other than older people...

I wouldn't call it really loud. Maybe with the extra motor you have it'll be what you're looking for. I really don't know how you could open it up anymore other than taking pieces off (I drove with just headers to the exhaust shop and that was too loud).

3. redbeast

redbeast Member

I've got a '77 K5 with a 350ci. 750cfm Holley double pumper, Weiand manifold, Holley Afterburner long tubes, dual 2 1/2 straight pipes all the way back - no cats.
    I put in some flowmaster super40's (deeper sound than the standard flowmasters) Sounds great and no complaints from anyone. Legal sound levels too unless you go to glasspacks. I also put in a cross-over pipe (H-pipe) to balance the exhaust and get a few more horses out of it. It brought the tone of the exhaust down a bit ( which I did not like) but the added power was a big plus. I could not get an X-pipe in there since it's a 4X4 without restricting the exaust, but overall I'm satisfied with my beast.
    I've been wanting to put a really decent cam (street / strip) in my K5 350 4X4. What's your opinion on Comp Cams 239 grind ( CS X4 262H-11 ) ? - as opposed to the .490 your're looking at ? I'm not up on cam tech much.

4. Joesgarage

Joesgarage Member

I have the same set up on my 71 Elcamino! You'll love it. It will be loud when you stomp the go pedal, If you mind your maners around town and when you see johnny law you should be alright.Be nice to your neighbors too because there the ones that will bring the law down on ya.Hows that saying go? "you don't $hi@ where you sleep"
    Steve

5. drabo

drabo Member

Only problem with that set up is the smoke gets into the cab when you're at stop lights. You might want to dump it just in front of the rear tires.

6. redbeast

redbeast Member

I tried leaving off the tail pipes after the muffs. Sounds great, but I was eating exhaust most of the time. I installed some short 2-foot 45-degree turndowns from the muffs aimed toward just in front of the rear tires. No probs since. A little quieter in the cab - which I didn't like much, but I don't eat the exhaust fumes any more. Don't get the pipe bent turn downs from the auto part store, if you go this route - ( turkey neck looking things that really restrict your exhaust flow ) Get the mandrel bent 45-degree bends from Summit or Jegs. smooth open exhaust flow out the pipes.