exhaust

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by cowboy, Jan 11, 2003.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

I was just wondering what kinda exhaust ya'll got on your rides. i have severl ideas to put on my truck and one is flowmasters the most expensive idea for exhaust i got.and it is 3.5 inch 50 series flowmasters.
    cowboy

2. Dude

Dude Member

Mine self, I'm jus' runnin' a set 'o nickel plat'd Thorley header's, 2.5 inch aluminiz'd straight pipe 'bout 2.5 feet long with a set 'o Morosso Spiral muffler's on mine '77 Chev StepSide.

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

How do you like it? the sound good? I think i'm going to run heades and cherry bombs or headers and glass packs.Mount the cherrybomb or glass packs right off the header with maybe 6" of pipe.
    cowboy

4. Glen

Glen Member

my '63 c-20 has split type headers on the 250 inline 6, with stock mufflers. Sounds quiet idling, a little low noise while throttling. It sure made it run better now that it can breathe. The '59 1/2 ton we're building has a 305. I've put headman block huggers on it, with 3" collectors. It sounds pretty darn good right now. We will be putting 30 series flowmasters with 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 exhaust on it soon. My wife wants to be able to hear the stereo.

5. Dude

Dude Member

I dig the sound. Definatly noticable at idle, as the R's increase, so does the noise. Right 'bout when the stall kick's in, it's loud. As far as hearin' the stereo, much 'bove 3500 R's, unless the stereo is quite loud, you won't hear it very well. Talkin' is difficult, but it sound's so good, breathe's so well, an well, if it ain't loud, then what fun is that? :)
    I've notic'd major difference's since I've ran exhaust like this. I've ran it on a lot 'o mine rig's, an as the power 'o the mill increase's, so does the noise.
    Freeway drivin' does get annoyin' after a while, 4200 R's for long period's 'o time get's quite deafenin'.
    The new mill in the work's will be almos' deafenin' all the time.
    Had the same mill in mine Monte, that could be heard a block away at idle.
    *EG*

6. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit cowboy!

i have stock exhaust manifolds, connected to flows(? series), and complete 3"(non-mandrel bent) pipes...all the way to the rear.

the end pipes are cut, so that the exhaust dumps STRAIGHT to the ground...right before the rollpan(no bumper).

i have dynomax ceramic-coated 1.75" full-length headers and dynomax 3" mufflers, waiting to be installed.

7. nutlock

nutlock Member

i have stock manilfolds dual straight pipe glasspacks on my 71 350 ....nice and loud .....im sure it wakes the neighbors early in the morning when i fire it up for work }> }> }>

8. ljw

ljw Member

2 and 1/2 inch pipe works fine on small blocks!

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

has anyone ever built there own headers? how hard is it? i'm thinking of making some headers for our caddy.
    cowboy

10. Hartmte

Hartmte Member

Here is my setup,
    54-3100, 235 equipped with 53-54 corvette GM dual split cast iron manifold, maintains existing heat riser system. Custom bent 2 inch dual pipes that run together to about the original muffler location. Installed a dual inlet/ dual outlet Stainless steel Bassani Muffler. Tail-pipes from the Bassani split apart and go out over the rear axle on both sides all the way to just in front of rear bumper.
    The sound is great at all levels. Most people ask if its a V8. The Bassani has dual equalizing chambers that mix all 6 cylinders and gives a very nice low tone. Sounds like a late model Camero V-8 at idle. I bought the Bassani from Patricks. :)

11. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

Don't anyone shoot more for this please, but, the farther back you place the mufflers the more quiet it will be in the cab. On my Chevrolet truck I have Rams horn manifolds running through turbo mufflers , the police don't seem to bother me that way. On another truck (other make) I have Purple Horneys on it , the police always take notice , but I love that sound!.
    Butch

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

how loud are the purple hornies? and what kinda engine you got them on?
    cowboy

13. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

About half as loud as a set of headers and header mufflers, they have a smooth tone but they sound off good when you get into it. Running them behind a 360 in one of those other makes.
    Butch

14. cgrant68

cgrant68 Member

the cheapest headers I found were $99 spent $100 had them jet coated
    flow master pro flows for the sound '00 camaro ss chrome tips then frenched them out the side of my bed in front of rears wheels. meaning i cut the bottom of my bed and fit the chrome tips so the bottome is level with my bed. stuck them out about 3/8 of an inch
    i have a 68 c10swd so i went with a one piece drive shaft and fit the mufflers just under the cab and then work the 2.5 pipes around front spring hanges. sounds cool but looks better.

15. Koldei

Koldei Member

got a '48 3600 with a 350 V8

exhaust is fubar

looking for a set (dual exhaust) of nice, quiet nufflers
    but also a set that'll work with teh engine (performance,mileage etc)

suggestions?

16. cowboy

cowboy Member

i would suggest some turbo mufflers. they are quiet except during acceleration(but they don't get real load). they should give good performance.
    cowboy

17. 76454

76454 Member

I have a single pipe running off a 454. Thorley headers into 2 1/2" pipes, into a Flo-Pro muffler, into a 3" pipe with chrome angle cut tip that exits in front of the rear tire on the driver side. It can be annoying on the freeway if I'm in the left lane, next to the wall. It sets off car alarms with ease. I haven't been bothered by the police, but the import guys get in a stink over it.

18. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

Sets off car alarms? lol thats got to be a hoot!!! A lot of those sewing machine drivers have car stereos loud enough to drown out your TV...I'd rather here the 454.
    Butch

19. cowboy

cowboy Member

your right i wold rather hear the bbc rumbling and shaking the ground that a sound system the shakes the car.but i will have a stereo in my truck just cause i like my music.(country the only music to listen to.)
    cowboy

20. 76454

76454 Member

It is pretty cool, but it's not any everyday thing. Before I dialed in my carb, it would do it all of the time. Now, I have to be idling past a car to make it work. I'm thinking about adding some exhaust cutouts, just for that purpose. It would be like a game...parking lot roulette. Let's see just how many cars we can set off.