Floor Shift Conversion

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by fab51, Feb 11, 2012.

1. fab51

fab51 Member

Does anyone have experience with installing a floor shifter for a 3-speed torque tube transmission? Specifically, I'm looking at the Mr. Gasket 7667A. I've read some about it, but everything I've found has been about transmissions with open drive shaft. Mr. Gasket's web site shows the 7667A as fitting the '51, but I just want to be certain that it won't take a ton of fabrication/modification.

Thanks for the help!

2. coilover

coilover Member

I just plain don't like after market floor shifters so my advice probably isn't what you need but, if I was going floor shift on a torque tube tranny I'd find a 47 three speed or the factory four speed. None of the mickey mouse rods and loosey goosey pivots to put up with. The 47 3sp is a little scarce but not rare and the four speeds are gathering rust in junk piles behind many rod shops. Probably not a lot more work to swap out the trans than to mount and adjust out the 3sp kit. I definitely would not use a Hurst if you ever think you might need something covered by warrantee.

3. fab51

fab51 Member

You know, Evan, I hadn't even thought about those possibilities. I just wanted something to "smooth out" the shift from first to second. The more I think about it, though, the 4-speed sounds great. Granny low for parade duty. Second, third and high ("normal driving" gears) are synchronized. I guess I should start my search for all the parts I need for the swap, within driving distance of Central Missouri...

4. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    If you are looking to buy an older tranny anyway. For the same money you can buy a Saginaw 4 speed, and patricks torque tube conversion for it. I have the 4 speed he recommends and his tailpiece and it is very slick. He sells a Hurst 4 speed comp-plus shifter for it as well. Put in his 3:55 rear end and you are good to go. Just depends on budget

5. fab51

fab51 Member

Patrick's Saginaw conversion kit does look very slick, but would definitely break the bank. I'm trying to keep the budget under $200...

6. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Welcome to the land of empty pockets and un-finished projects....to coin a phrase from the Jeep forum.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

the land of empty pockets and un-finished projects...

OR ;

You could just clean the crap out of it and lube & tune it sharpish and then drive the wheels off it , rust chips , dents and all.........

That's Nate over there in the slow lane clattering along in his very own cloud of blue smoke with the silly , shyte eating grin on his ugly mug :D .

Old & slow , six in a row , makes it GO ! :p .

8. fab51

fab51 Member

And it has plenty of dents...but each one was "installed" by a family member, starting with my great grandpa. I have no plans of restoring it, just maintaining it. I often get asked if I'm going to restore it. I guess in that sense, the '51 will always be an unfinished project.

Fast lane, slow lane...the '51 never sees the interstate. Route 66, yes. Secondary roads, certainly. I'm ok with 60 mph. I just want a smoother shift than the column shifter can give. ;)

9. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

pics

Tim do you have any pics to lets us see your ride???
    Robert

10. fab51

fab51 Member

Robert-

You asked for them... I never thought about it until I was posting these, but the engine pics are several years outdated. I've since rebuilt it and swapped the Rochester for a Carter YF. I'll take some new pics when I get the Offenhauser intake installed.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/8trackdude/1951 Chevrolet 3104/MVC-078S.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/8trackdude/1951 Chevrolet 3104/MVC-077S.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/8trackdude/1951 Chevrolet 3104/MVC-085S.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/8trackdude/1951 Chevrolet 3104/MVC-084S.jpg

Thanks for your interest!!!

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Pix !

And , you have a nice truck there too ! .

12. coilover

coilover Member

Interesting truck. The distributor has a male terminal cap that is held in place with screws and the hold down clamp must be to the rear. It is an electronic by the wires to the coil. The rubber hose that is almost touching the front of the exhaust manifold has me baffled. I see the wiper hose goes straight in to the wiper motor from the intake so it must not have the dual action pump or else it is plumbed different. If the Carter has an automatic choke like the Rochester does then the stove pipe line would work a lot better if it had an insulating sleeve. If I gave the guys something as nice as your "rough" truck to work on they'd be suspicious that I was trying to pull something on them. Well worth spending a little on. If you can't come up with a granny close to you let me know as I have several that have prices that sound like baby chicks talking ---cheep, cheep, cheep. You would have to pick it up cause I'm not going to rassle the heavy dude into a shipping crate.

13. fab51

fab51 Member

Thanks for the kind words, Nate & Evan!

Good eye, Evan. The dizzy is an HEI from Tom Langdon. I've had some ups and downs with some of the electronic components going bad, but overall it is great.

As for the wipers...I was in a transition period at that time. I had been running vacuum wipers with the special fuel pump and vacuum reservoir. When the picture was taken, I had switched to electric wipers. The vacuum line running into the cab is for the Trico vacuum fan mounted on the steering column.

The Carter also has a heat tube similar to the Rochester. It also is not insulated. One of these days...

Thanks for the transmission offer, Evan. I hope to find one a bit closer, but I will definitely keep yours in mind.

14. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Stovepipe insulating sleeve ?

Hey Evan

Its one of these nights , you cant sleep and need to kill some time. What is better then using it on this forum , i simply love it. It is intresting reading when people have "unrestored" or modified trucks. Always some new solutions acure and thats what i like about the people here to. The inventive and creativ sites of the truckowners you could say. Now for example this insulating sleeve , what material do you wrap around the pipe to let the carb get the benefit of the heat ?
    Mine is made of a flexible copper material and leads the heat better in that way !

Martinius.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  15. federale

federale Member

Re:Jeep Forum

Jeep=Just Empty Every Pocket. Which forum do you follow, flashlight? I'm on the WJ forum as rowdy1. You can tell I don't know jack from my posts LOL

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Choke Stove Insulation

I vastly prefer the bi - metallic coil spring in the exhaust manifold that came along later , or the electric heated typ of choke stove .

An appliance repair parts store will have the woven cover stuff necessary for the early choke stoves heat risor tube .

I imagine you can find something in any decent Hardware Store or Almacen .

17. fab51

fab51 Member

I'll probably take care of that when I get the Offenhauser dual pot manifold installed. In the mean time, it works fine as far as I can tell.