Frame Cleanup/Restoration

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by babailey, Aug 25, 2009.

1. babailey

babailey Member

I would like to cleanup and repaint the frame on my 1959 Apache. I do not really have the space to do a body off restoration, can I accomplish this task reasonably without removing the body?

Has any one out there done a cleanup and repaint of the frame without removing the body, or should I bite the bullet and remove the body?

Thanks!

2. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

If your truck is a daily driver, than I would not consider taking the truck apart just to paint the frame,You could take just the bed off
    and clean up the back of the frame and axle and get to the underside of the cab a little better and cleanup the front with the truck jacked up and a little elbow grease (not an easy job,but what you put into it is was you will get out of it).chances are if you are like me you have big plans for your truck but have limited funds.
    I scattered my Cameo apart several years ago and then got married,bought a house,have 4 kids,dogs,cats,gold fish,I still have the Cameo Thank God, but their have been allot of obsticles on the path of my dream of what was once a running, fairly good looking truck,now it sits in my garage still without engine and trans.I now
    have the garage of my dreams to work on it and now have a daughter thats going to college!!! I wouldnt change anything for the world but what I am trying to tell you is if you have a driver
    that you enjoy, keep it that way,and dont take it all apart unless
    you can afford to put it back together!!!
    Good luck with your truck,Allen

3. babailey

babailey Member

Excellent advise!

I do have a driver and it could be a daily driver if it weren't for the super hot days here in Texas. I do not have the garage of my dreams so a body off chassis restoration was going to be pretty tough.

4. I.F. 59 Apache

I.F. 59 Apache Member

Good question. I have been pondering the same issue. Take it all apart or just scrub it up as best as possible.