Front clip interchangeability '78 &

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 78subgeorge, Dec 26, 2003.

1. 78subgeorge

78subgeorge Member

I need to replace hood & fenders on my '78 GMC Suburban.

I have a line on the front clip from an '81 Chevy pickup.

Anyone know if this is a direct bolt-in?
    I don't really care if the grille or headlights look different on the '81. The thing is confused anyway, since the rally wheel caps have Chevy emblems. :cool:}

Thanks

2. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

RE: Front clip interchangeability '

it should bolt right in but you,ll have to change the radiator core support, wiring will probaly be different. theres probaly more things that I cant think of.Good luck.Karl

________
    Buy Vaporizers

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  3. 78subgeorge

78subgeorge Member

Anyone know what year GM changed the hood hinge springs from old style coil springs made from round wire to clock type springs made from flat stock?

George

4. cowboy

cowboy Member

my guess would be in 73.
    cowboy

5. oldpickup

oldpickup Member

i think it was in 1981 or 1983 when they changed the hood springs

6. eugene68

eugene68 Member

I just got done changing a 76 blazer to a 82 chevy front end.
    everthing bolted up nicely, of course I did the whole front end at once which included the radiator support. the light harness even plugged in. there were a few modifiactions however. I had to cut two slots for the back of the hood hinge,(1-1/2"x3") I also had to drill two holes on each side to mount the rear hinge on each side . also the new stye has a cowling in place of the longer old hood, which in turn means you have to replace the inside windshield wiper posts, (the old ones are not long enough, your wipers will bind on the cowling) .
    other then that it was a direct bolt on change. If I had to do it over though I would have welded a piece of flat steel to each side of the firewall were the hood hinge is mounted just to re-enfore the metal. Also, the hood mechanism on the new stye is the cable in cab version. DON'T CLOSE THE HOOD TILL YOU FIGURE OUT HOW TO OPEN IT. I used a hanger hood to the hood release till I can get around to the inside cable version. It took a buddy of mine and me a day to make the change.

hope this helps you out.
    eugene

7. eugene68

eugene68 Member

forgot to tell you, if you need pictures drop me a line , I would be happy to send you some digital pictures of the modifications I had to do if it would help you out.

eugenecowen@cox.net