Front wheel roller bearing conversi

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by steve 51, Aug 28, 2005.

1. steve 51

steve 51 Member

Hi,
    I have a chevy 51 1/2 ton and I need to change the front wheel bearings. I found upgrade conversion kit Part#73-061K.

Is it better than the original bearings ? Who tried ?

Does it match without problem or can I do some modifications ? (I don't use brake disk).

Could you help me please ?

You can see fotos of my chevy on http://groups.msn.com/SplitWindowRestorations/steve51deluxe.msnw

Thank's in advance.

Kind regards.

Steve:)

2. fab51

fab51 Member

RE: Front wheel roller bearing conv

Steve-

The orignial ball bearings are not designed for much side load which comes from fast cornering, but in an original truck that's not a problem. I'm still running the original ball bearings in my truck with absolutely no problems. Just keep them greased and they are fine.

As I recall the price for the original ball bearings and the roller bearing conversion kit is about the same. Whatever you decide to do will be right.

3. mel 55_1

mel 55_1 Member

I've put the replacement roller bearing on my 55 1st with no problems. As Tim says, there was no real difference in price, so I went for the rollers.

They fit and work fine, don't need to adjust anything, just take the old ones out and pop in the new. You will need a puller to remove the old bearings and although you can tap in the new ones, I took mine (hubs and new bearings) to the friendly local garage to get them pressed in.

Uness the old bearings are really shot don't expect a great improvement in ride - it's just another of those things that collectively make these great riding trucks.

Mel

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice truck Steve ! .

I sat keep the ballbearings as I do and I both work my truck and drive it @ high sppeds , 70 MPH etc.

It is easy to remove the old races , simply use a ong thin drift and hammer , work through the hub from the opposing side , knocking it out in 180* increments to prevent the race from cocking and jamming in
    place .

Wneh you install the new races , either use a bearing installer or a big drift and go 'round & 'round the edges untull the note changes deeped indicating the race has bottomed out .

-Nate

5. steve 51

steve 51 Member

Hi everybody,

Thank's a lot for your informations.

Steve