Fuel Delivery problem?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Reinovator, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Got one for ya.
    1980 One ton 4x4 350 dually manual 4speed tranz Engine ran well on stand. I installed it back in my Truck and I couldn't keep fuel in carb. had to prime it every time I started it checked fuel pressure and was getting only 2 lb so I replaced the fuel pump, the old one was new. I used to be a parts man and I've seen new pumps bad not often but it does happen.
    The new pump did the same thing checked suction side of pump 18lb suction. wow must be the steel line replace it, same problem, bypased tank switch same problem?
    Now what! Ok the lines to the tanks were old so I replaced what I could reach. same problem. low pressure at carb, plenty of suction.
    Your guess now,

The truck ran when I parked it and pulled the engine, sat for 20 months.
    summer temps here get to 115 in the and the winter rarely below 12 average in the 30's very low humidity all year round. no fuel left in tanks
    Also this has a utility bed on it.

I did solve it but this should be a fun Diagnosis quest.:p:eek:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Fuel Delivery problem solved!

I dropped tank pulled the sending unit and checked the sock no problems inspected the tube from the sock up and it was fine.
    The steel line between where it comes out of the tank and to where it attaches to the rubber line had a hole worn in it from the utility bed. The bed had been repaired and where the piece of steel had been put on was hanging down about 1 1/2 inches longer than the box and the top of sending unit had been coated with something so I couldn't see the wear hole at a quick glance.

I look at it now and shake my head at how easy it is to see, you'd think I would have caught this right off, but the coloration of all the years of crud was distracting, until I looked directly at the damage.

Then it was like DUH, (Blonde valley girl moment) no wonder, real bright, I feel almost like I wasted 10 hrs of R&R and chasing parts, reading, etc. but this is basic stuff, always check the basics.

Funny how 25 years of being in the automotive industry and advising others can go right out the window .Now I know I'm not the worlds greatest mechanic. but come on!!
    I guess It's good to be humbled once in a while.

Not dealing with carburetor type systems everyday can throw off a simple repair task. gas comes from the tank to the engine, fuel injected, carb blower,or turbo! from point 'A' to Point 'B'.

I did fix the piece of extra steel, it won't wear out the line again!
    Thanks for Reading and remember the basics!:D:eek:

3. Don M

Don M Member

It seems like the simple problems can sometimes be the most frustrating. I guess we have to experience a problem like this every once in a while to keep us from getting too cocky.

Don

4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

lol so true that happens at one point or another to every one one form or another. :D

5. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Funny thing, the darn thing runs better than when I pulled the engine and parked it.
    It makes me wonder how long the problem had be going on.

It was rough starting before but never this bad!! This was my daily driver and work truck.
    Sometimes I think I should put all my problem children in the south 40 for a while, if I had a south 40.

I thought you all would get a kick out of this!!!:cool:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. The Carpenter

The Carpenter Member

i have wasted a few hours trying to find fuel delivery problems that ended up being being a question of lack of delivery TO THE FUEL TANK. Talk about checking your basics. Thanks for the reminder. Merry Christmas.

7. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

As I posted earlier This thing makes me wounder if it was a diesel at one time
    check out the fuel line. the installed line is actually a trans cooling line the line next to it, at a 90 degree. is the original line

[​IMG]:eek: