Fuel Gauge Problem-Dual Gas Tanks

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by montiel, May 14, 2002.

1. montiel

montiel Member

Hello y'all,

I have an 82 C20 with factory dual gas tanks. I purchased this truck awhile back and I'm going to start using it. The fuel gauge reads "full" all the time with the ignition on (engine running) even though the tanks are not full. I get the same reading when I switch from one tank to the other. My question is: What controls the signal from the fuel level float of the tanks to the gauge?? Is there a relay or something?? I'm thinking its either a bad connection or a wire is grounding out. Where should I look??

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Mike

2. bassadict69

bassadict69 Member

RE: Fuel Gauge Problem

I had the same problem with my 83 Sierra Classic. I replaced the gauge and it works perfectly now!

3. 57heaven

57heaven Member

RE: Gauge Problem-Dual Gas Tanks

:) howziit Mike! Hmmmmm, i don't think it's the senders, if you have one in each tank.

there are no electrical relays in the system...just the gauge,connecting wires, and the senders in the gas tank.

i'm not familiar with your dual-tank setup; you may have a 2-way electrical switch between gauge and tanks, in order to read two tanks with one gauge.

it may be a simple matter of the pink wire(voltage)and the brown wire(to sender) being reversed at the gauge.switching the leads under the dash just might work.

or it could be a broken brown wire, from gauge to dual-tank switch.

orrrr, it could be a defective switch, stuck reading only one gas tank, which also happens to have a defective sender.

JMO...look for the obvious. swap the wire leads at the gauge first.

if not that, then disconnect the sender lead at the gauge, and run a temporary wire, from gauge to switch.

if not that, disconnect the wire at one tank, and run the temporary wire from gauge to that tank.

hope this helps.

Myron