Fuel line help

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Depoebay, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

current setup is a 5/8 nut with a double flare 3/8 Steel line from fuel pump to carb. This setup interferes with the lower radiator hose. Is there a fitting for the fuel pump that will come off the pump at a small radius 90 degrees?

Small block chevy in a 52. Usually I can figure out crap like this but 3 days?? frustrated

2. coilover

coilover Member

For a tight bend we usually use a Midland Metals #38874 tight radius swivel fitting. If you find a 90* male/female inverted flare fitting that doesn't swivel it will more likely stop at the wrong angle and there is no fudging a flare fitting like you can a pipe fitting. If it must be all metal you can braze a 3/8 inverted flare union to the tube nipple. Many cannot braze brass but we have no problem but one must pay close attention to the melting point.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Is the top and bottom of the fuel pump held together with screws? If so, I have changed the "clocking" on fuel pumps before by removing the screws, twisting the bottom one hole and re-inserting the screws.

4. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Wow thanks for the information. The fuel line does not have be all metal. fuel line hose will work just fine. I took the original and cut to a straight piece and tried with clamps and rubber fuel line. the bend is too much and kinks the hose.
    if I flatten out the bend it will be close to the harmonic balancer.

I thought about clocking the pump but I don't see a gain other than routing line in a goofy manner. Currently the outlet to the carb comes out at 45 degree angle to the front towards the driver side.

5. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Coilover you are a genius. That part is exactly what I am looking for. Need to send a case of beer. THANK YOU...!!!!!!

6. coilover

coilover Member

Thank you for the compliment but they make me follow a rabbit around now and can eat or drink only what he does. I dream of an icy cold one or a bucket of Blue Bell ice cream.

7. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

The rabbits name wouldn't be Harvy by any chance?

8. coilover

coilover Member

No such luck, as I recall Harvey and Jimmy Stewart didn't mind a little libation once in awhile.

9. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

My 64 year old age still likes that movie