Fuel Tank

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by JCina66, Jan 19, 2002.

1. JCina66

JCina66 Member

Can someone give me their opinion as to what they would do about this situation. I purchased a 66 C-10 which quit running 4 times as I was driving it home. I discovered the problem which was the fuel sending unit. It was completely stopped up with rust so I replaced it. The truck has ran fine up until last evening when it once again quit as if it had ran out of gas, which by the way may have happened because the gas gauge is still not working. Should I remove the fuel tank and clean out as I think it may have rust near the bottom and when the tank gets close to empty the fuel sending unit is pulling this rust and whatever up and out to the carb???? Should I just make sure I've always got a full tank of gas before taking my wife for a ride!!!! Hello!:)

2. drmarty

drmarty Member

Two things come to mind. The pickup screen can become clogged this can be resolved by removing the tank, cleaning and using a tank restorer product available from chevy duty or eastwood. also there is a stone filter at the inlet to the carb that needs to be replaced.

be careful to use 2 wrenches as you can crimp the fuel line.

3. JCina66

JCina66 Member

drmarty,
    Thanks for the info, however I replaced the sending unit at which time I throughly cleaned the "screen filter" on the end of the pickup tube and also replaced the carb filter which is a cardboard filter not a stone filter. I think you indicated right suggesting the tank restorer product! Would you happen to know the name of that product and do you coat the entire inside of the fuel tank with it?

JCina66

4. drmarty

drmarty Member

Try this link http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe