Gas in cylinders

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by 74X4Burb, Jul 21, 2004.

1. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

Finally got all the parts I thought I needed for my '68 GMC still dosent start, its got new oil,points,cap,rotor,etc.its got spark thru the coil.its getting gas,pulled the spark plugs they were soaked whith gas,what causes gas on the plugs?is my carb not working? is the engine shot?.my dad is about ready to haul it off,so thanks for any and all help.Karl

________
    VAPORIZER WHOLESALER

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. tech1

tech1 Member

you may be flooding the motor
    do you have spark at the plugs?

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-04 AT 11:10 PM (CST)]I got spark at the plugs,but It still has the old ones in it, I cleaned em off though,is the engine not building enough compression? I took the valve covers off and the rocker arms where really lose, but me and my bro.inlaw tighted them. still havent gotten even a backfire.Karl

________
    Buy Digital Scale

4. tech1

tech1 Member

you should get a compression tester and check the compresion:+

5. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

>Finally got all the parts I thought I needed for my '68 GMC
    >still dosent start, its got new oil,points,cap,rotor,etc.its
    >got spark thru the coil.its getting gas,pulled the spark
    >plugs they were soaked whith gas,what causes gas on the
    >plugs?is my carb not working? is the engine shot?.my dad is
    >about ready to haul it off,so thanks for any and all
    >help.Karl

HELLO KARL,

O.K., ASSUMING YOU ADJUSTED THE VALVES PROPERLY, YOU HAVEN'T GOT ENOUGH COMPRESSION IN ORDER TO FIRE THE CYLINDERS.
    ALSO,I AM ASSUMING THAT THE TRUCK HAS BEEN PARKED FOR A PERIOD OF TIME AND THAT YOU HAVE FRESH FUEL IN THE TANK.

THAT BEING SAID, MORE THAN LIKELY THE CYLINDERS HAVE BEEN "WASHED" OF THE FILM OF OIL THAT IS USED TO HELP SEAL THEM. EASY FIX! REMOVE THE PLUGS AND SQUIRT A FEW PUMPS OF OIL INTO THE CYLINDERS. IF YOU HAVE AN OLD STYLE OIL CAN COOL,IF NOT FIND A WAY TO PUT SOME, A LITTLE OIL IN THEM. PUT THE CLEANED OR NEW PLUGS IN GIVE A PUMP OR TWO TO THE GAS AND FIRE IT UP. YES, IT WILL SMOKE FOR A WHILE, BUT THATS O.K..
    AGAIN I WANT TO EMPHASIZE, DON'T FILL THE CYLINDERS YOU ONLY NEED A LITTLE BIT. TOO MUCH OIL AND THE PLUGS WILL FOUL!
    HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK!!!!

BRANT

6. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member