Gas tank

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 65Matt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. 65Matt

65Matt Member

Hey, guys, been gone for a while but am back after it. I just had my straight six rebuilt and now I'm ready to travel. I know most guys want to go bigger but I just like that lil six. I would like to move the gas tank to the rear and was wondering if there were used ones out there (what vehicle), I could get or should I just get a new one (from where)? Should the replacement be a straight swap or will there be "modifications", ie fuel level sensor, etc. You guys are great, Matt

2. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

Recently i got a 15gal. fuel cell w/sending unit from summitracing for 150. works great and since i see your spare tire is on the side you wont have to worry about frame clearence. mine fit perfect between the rear frame behind the rearend... alot better than inside the cab... hope this helps... g.t.

3. Bruno

Bruno Member

Hay Matt,I see there ,s a lot of options to gas tank.I,m in the same place with my 66 gmc.I found my local napa dealer has a book full of different size,s if you get a measurement between the frame rails you will have an idea of what type of tank you would like to use.You can run the fiiler nozel out the back or out the side.Check into a blazer style tank.And yes there will some custom fitting to be done.good luck and do some resurch.Bruno.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

5. 65Matt

65Matt Member

You guys are great! I will look into these and try to get some new pics posted.

6. beck

beck Member

dvalentine has a good link there. I have seen information on the web to put the filler in the stake pocked for the fleetside bed using an setup similar to this link.
    I am using a stepside bed. My installation is a bit different though since I have put my truck together using a 80's Chevy frame. I used the large size Suburban tank. The small Suburban or the Blazer tank my be more appealing to many since it will not be so exposed under the bed of the truck. The big tank is about 4" deeper. I originally installed my tank with the filler going out the side to a filler door mounted in the fender. I have changed it to a filler in the bed. I have my truck low enough that the fill line going to the fender didn't have enough slope to flow fuel.
    Instead of buying a used tank it would probably be better to buy a new poly tank. Why fight the rust and dirt of an old tank. I bought mine on the net. It was drop shipped from my source. It still had the invoice from the manufacturer. It cost me twice as much as my supplier paid for it. Unfortunately I can't find that invoice to pass along the manufacturer. Don't forget to buy new mounting straps too.
    Rememer in the photo this is an 80s frame.

Attached Files:

• Tk.JPG
      Tk.JPG
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  7. beck

beck Member

8. bebo94

bebo94 Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  9. coilover

coilover Member

Here is a 66 with a Blazer tank and the filler in the left bed panel. Plenty of room on the inside rear of the fender for the filler tube. If your left handed it could go in the other side but either way it's easy to use and not in the floor.

Attached Files:

10. felix61

felix61 Member

jeez guys. i was wondering how i was going to do MINE, but now i know. thanks!