gas to diesel conversion

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by gcspray, Jul 17, 2001.

1. gcspray

gcspray Member

I am interested in converting a 1987 Chevy 30, crewcab, dually 4x4 from a 454 TBI to a heavy duty diesel of some type. The truck has the SM-465 4 speed manual, a US Gear two speed with a 20% overdrive, the 205 transfer case, and 410 gears. The truck is a real powerhouse, and is used primarily to tow a 36' Holiday Rambler 5th wheel.
    The original truck/engine has 63K miles, and my only complaint is the gas mileage which is about 6 to 8 per gallon with the camper. I want to stay close to the same pulling power as the 454, and have considered using a Cummins, similar to the ones Dodge uses... Not interested in the GM light truck diesels! Any ideas are appreciated.

2. Craig

Craig Guest

The best diesel on the market is the Duramax diesel from GM.But I would imagine that they would be a little hard to find being that its a new motor.You could go with a Accel fuel injection and gain a couple miles to the gallon.But 8 miles to the gallon for your truck and trailer is really pretty good.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

3. gcspray

gcspray Member

Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Cummins is offering a line of medium duty diesel engines, one of which may be a possible conversion engine. It is called the ISB 300 series. The line is being targeted towards motorhomes, school buses, and fire & rescue equipment. This is not the same engine line as the Dodge/Cummins, It develops 300 BHP, and 600 lb-ft torque at 1500 RPM, and has an operating RPM up to 2700. It is 5.9 liters, turbo-charged, 6 cylinder, 24 valve, and computer controled. It has a 100 K warrenty, a 400 K expected lifespan, and is supposed to be extremely fuel efficient, It has an optional exhaust brake which will come in handy towing a 12,500 5th wheel.
    The only thing that concerns me is the 950 pounds of weight, but considering my truck is a 1-ton, crewcab, 4x4, dually, I doubt if the extra pounds will be much of a problem.
    Any thoughts about this type of conversion?
    Thanks,
    Charles

4. Craig

Craig Guest

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-01 AT 08:49 AM (CST)[/font][p]What type of tranny do they recommend?You will need a different transmission for the diesel.One that has more speeds.Probably a six or seven speed.Also what is cost of everything you need to do the conversion? It seems like alot of money and work to gain a few miles to the gallon.What kind of mileage can you expect? if its in the 20's then maybe it would be worth it.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com