Gauge Removal

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by bjs70c10, Feb 12, 2005.

1. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

Can someone please help me get the gauge pod out of my 70 pickup? I especially need help with the lights and wiper knobs. How in the world do you get the knobs off so that you can get the gauge panel out of there. Also, the speedometer cable is being stubborn. How does that come out, and what about wires etc. Is there enough extra wire back there to slide the panel out and disconnect the wires with the panel pulled out some? Thanks guys,

Brian

2. basketcase

basketcase Member

Good question. I was looking at mine the othere day too. I need to repair some drilled holes and paint the dash. So far I haven't got past the looking stage yet. I hope you get some replies.

Tom

3. oj70chevy

oj70chevy Member

The wiper knob is held by a very small screw right on the tin of the metal shaft. The knob for the light is a one piece that goes into the light switch, to remove that one you will have to reach under your dash and on the top of the switch you will fell a small button that has a spring when it is pushed down into the switch the knob can be pulled out. Taking out the light switch knob may take some time it has to be pulled out sraight and the button pushed in straight or youll be there till you get frustrated

Thanks Ralph

4. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

I messed with it till I figured it out. Here's how it's done basketcase. First thing to do is get the wiper knob off, which is held on by a small set screw. Then the headlight switch knob is a little trickier. Reach under the dash, and on the top or bottom of the switch there is a little button. Push it in and hold it, and pull on the knob. If you play with it enough it will come off. Then unscrew the chrome bezels around the knobs. Next, reach under the dash and unscrew the speedometer cable from the back of the speedometer and pull it out. Once you get that out, remove all of the screws around the instrument panel and slide it out some. All of the wiring is on a nice harness that you can reach easily once the gauges are pulled out some. Unplug the harness form the cluster and you're home free. I got mine out in about 20 minutes with no instructions, so you should be able to get it out pretty quick. It really isn't that hard. Reinstallation isn't tough either, just be careful not to scratch your steering column when reinstalling.

Good Luck and God Bless,
    Brian

5. basketcase

basketcase Member

Thanks. It doesn't even sound like much cussing is required. :7

6. wicklund50

wicklund50 Member

I believe there is a spring loaded button behind the dash on the bottom side of the switch, push it in and the knob pulls out. I had to drop the steering column by pulling the bolts out of the support and letting it down a few inches. The wires are short and plug into a printed circut panel. Speedo is push-twist and pulland can be done after the dash is pulled back some. I hope my memory is as good as the pictures in my mind. Oil sending line is copper and must be unscrewed. Hope this helps

7. basketcase

basketcase Member

After playing with the light switch a little I found that the program is to pull the knob and rod all the way out like you are turning on the headlights. Then push the button and pull the knob and rod out of the switch.

Tom