Gear Shifter Pins Redo

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by morabuffalo, Apr 27, 2014.

1. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Here is my attempt at a little tech which had me going for some time. It all started a few years ago when I noticed that I had maybe a total of ten inches of play in my 1948 granny gear four speed. More recently I obtained an extra trans and play was maybe two inches. I took the gear shifter out and found some badly worn pins holding it...and the round ball slide was also worn.

I took off the other cover and parts and put it in my truck. I started looking for pins and tech articles to fix it. Our host and other places all said pretty much the same..."Don't sell them,you will need to buy a used transmission and hope the top is good." One tech article that knew what I was talking about(because lots of them seemed to be lost as to what the person was talking about) said you pretty much needed to have a machine shop friend and find some super hardened bolts.

Finally, one day as I am going over one of my junk bolt and things box I run into some roller bearings that seem the same size...I don't what they are from, but they were just sitting there, so...I go back to that extra trans and measure stuff. Perfect!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Gear Shifter Pins Redo(part 2)

I cut the old pins out...drill the hole out to one size less than the 5/16 by 10/16 pin...put the pins in the freezer after I welded a washer to the end of it...decide not to heat up the cover because I reasoned that the hole would get smaller not larger. Then, I gentlely tapped the pins in...one side did get a slight hair line crack(I think it went in crooked), but I think it will still work.

Greased everything up. Oh, also welded the round ball slide and ground that down. Put it all back together and now I only have about two inches of flop! It seems to have worked perfect, but will not have it tested until I start putting my next project together Of course this all assumed, a major assume, that the pins are much more hardened than most any bolt I would find.

Next thing I want to tackle are redoing the shackles. rod

Attached Files:

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Shift Lever Pins

That's nice ~

If you'd heated the tower a little bit the holes would have enlarged but it is done and you should be well pleased with it now .

4. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Shift lever pins

Nate...thought about that for some time...I think in the old days I used to heat the hole up, but now that I was thinking about it...it just seemed to me that the metal would expand with heat and actually close the hole up a bit...but I used to freeze whatever to put in hole and heat hole. Too much thinking. And, that is why I still have my old gas welder nearby for those type situations...getting things out or putting them in!

rod

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" The Hot Wrench "

Rod ;

You're wise to keep an Oxy - Acy. torch set on hand , they're very useful .

Heating metal with a hole in it , always enlarges the hole , I often heat one part and chill the other to make press fitting easier .