Gen II Build Up

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by drabo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. drabo

drabo Member

I am wondering if my old short water pump will work on a Gen II SBC? I was told that they were not because of reverse flow. I though reverse flow is needed only if you run a serpintene belt. I then saw that the Gen II blocks used a gear driven water pump. My motor didn't have any extra gear on the block when I tore it down. Hopefully I'm on the right path.

Brian

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

3. drabo

drabo Member

Thanks for the article Dennis. Maybe I'm wrong on the type of motor. The block is a one piece seal but the timing gear looked just like one off an older SBC. It doesn't have that extra grear on the front. The block has a hole in it for a rear distributor. But the block also has bolt hols in the lifter valley for a lifter guide plate. I was told that the motor came out of a truck. Does this make a diffrence? Maybe when I get it back from the shop I can post the numbers on the block.

Brian

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  4. drabo

drabo Member

Update

Okay I've figured it out. I have a Gen I block with a one peice rear main seal. I was told that all 1 piece rear blocks were Gen II's. This bit of news makes things real simple for me. I just got it back from the machine shop. Now all I'm waiting on is money.

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

" Now all I'm waiting on is money. "

Me too !! write when it arrives !! ;)

6. drabo

drabo Member

Just ran into a snag on the motor rebuild. When ordering piston rings make sure you measure the third groove to see if it is short or deep. If you put deep rings on a shallow piston it won't go into the block.