Great Day!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, May 4, 2008.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Saturday was a really great day! Brian came down and got his brake parts off of my truck. (Cables, too... sorry Nate...) Spent time with my daughter, went to get lighter fluid, since it was the first Saturday of the month, that meant CAR SHOW at Big Lots here in Pittsburg! So- I just had to go check it out~
    As I pull up, I notice a white truck with it's hood up. I couldn't see the grill, but I knew it was an AD. When I got out and stood up to where I could see, there it was~ that BEAUTIFUL GMC MUG!!!
    Turns out that a fellow member here lives in near by Frontenac, and has a sweet 1/2 ton G! Somehow he figured out who I was in very short order... (Zig)...
    But what a great ride he has... and needs to post pictures of for us to see...
    Meeting two people from this site in one day was too cool! 2 down, 1,000 more to go?
    And now, Brian can get that rig of his rolling and tell us how it feels to be behind the wheel of a speeding bullet!

Just had to share~

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Deal !

It's always nice to put a face to the name...

I spent all weekend swimming in the sand looking for parts , not a 235 to be found anywhere :(

I Did find a decent Task Force Big 'Bolt with original 265 V-ate .

I'm beat , I allready took my shower so it's recliner time for me ! :)

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

3. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Good for you Zig! I've always been under the impression that Kansas was more populated with old ADs than any other state.

Bob

4. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

It's me

Well, I'm the fellow that Zig met at the local cruise night with the "cool" GMC. Here's a couple of pics of my truck. It was really cool to meet Zig and talk abit about the trucks we all love. I'll try to take some more pics of the truck and load them on my profile at a later date.

Attached Files:

5. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

here's one more pic

[​IMG]one more for the road

6. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hey Guys! I've been away, but I'm back now. I got a good grille surround and hood for my truck, so now it's gonna be built as a '50 Jimmy.... woo hoo! I was working it as a Chevy, but really wanted a Jimmy. My brother from Colorado was in Dallas, and I was in Phoenix, and he called with the find at the swap meet. I asked him to buy the parts, and his friend from Houston hauled the parts back to Houston, to my Daughter's house, and when we flew back to Houston, picked up the parts and brought them home to Kingsville..... Follow that? Anyway, I'm happy about my weekend too. BTW, Nate, you're such an expert on everything about these trucks... too cool. I've used your expertise several times already just by looking up a topic. Thanks for the help.

7. Wolf

Wolf Member

many thanks

Definitely a great day!!! Zig many many thanks for hooking me up with those parts, talk about generosity!!!! Zig has a great looking truck, and man did he get a deal on it! It was a blast hanging out and talking bout what we want to do on the trucks and what we have done.

I can't wait to get the parts on my truck. All I need now is to get my fuel pump in correct, I think i got the arm behind the cam lobe. And get new front shoes. Then it will be ready to drive...until i find more fun stuff to play with. :D

The day was awesome, I got to meet a great person, hang out on a beautiful 70F and sunny day. Thats what its all about!!!

8. Zig

Zig Member

Bob~ You bet we do! Some of these small towns around here, it's almost like they made it a city code that you MUST have an old AD in your yard somewhere!

Bilbo~ You're doing the right thing! Another G!

Shotwheelz~ I gotta get with you on what you used for the brakes! I've never liked the idea of having it under the floor, and your setup is clean, neat and tidy!

Finally~ Brian, if only you would have joined a wee bit earlier... you'd have your brakes all done by this weekend 'cause those front brakes went where the back ones were going to go. I forgot to mention~ if your master is shot, mine is "OK". I reworked it, and now it just drips every once in a while... It's yours if you need it.

So, yeah~ awesome weekend, two great people! Brian even brought his wife along with him. My daughter became fast buds with her! I couldn't help but mention (a time or two) to my wife, that it was Brian's wife Jennifer that found the truck for Brian! What a thoughtful way to show your hubby how much you love him!
    Hey~ father's day is coming up in a while... maybe my wife can buy me a new rear end! (as wierd as that may sound...) Ya'll will be the first to know, believe me!

9. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Zig, You sure it's a good idea to have the wife checkin' out rear ends?

10. Zig

Zig Member

I'll wait to see what she brings home...

11. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

Brakes

Hey Zig- just let me know and we can set up your brake system like mine. I agree that under the truck is ok, but it I wanted to be able to change the master cylinder out without crawling under the truck. I'll talk to you at the next cruise night. It will be at the taco station in june.

12. Zig

Zig Member

I'll be there!

...only this time I'll plan on it!
    The brake system is just what I'm looking for. With disc brakes up front, it just makes sense to do it that way. ...and so clean...:cool:
    Is that a set up from CP, or out of some other ride?

13. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

The brake system is from pirate jack's. Firewall mount brake arm, booster and master cylinder is all from them. It's basically a bolt in set up, just hole saw a hole for the booster rod. The disc brake set up is from Chevy Duty.

14. Zig

Zig Member

Cool!

Thanks for the info~ that's exactly the way I'll go!:cool:

15. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thanks for the brake parts again!!! I tried to get my drums off, with no luck, but I will try again this next week. My adjuster screws are frozen, the drums turn, but sure don't come off. Im heading back west this weekend to visit my parents or I would get them on this weekend:)

Anyways Thanks again:D

16. Zig

Zig Member

Hey Brian~ Give me your address and I'll send you the photocopies of the brake system I gave you. (If you want it.) The manual I have doesn't show that exact brake setup, that's why I had Tom get me copies. On the drums~ I'm sure you did, but if not, check very close on the face of the drums for retainer screws. Remember the ones I took out before I pulled the drum off? Sometimes there is so much gunk, that the slots on the screws "vanish". I had to really hunt to find where mine were!
    Good luck, and let me know about the copies.

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bilbo:

You're welcome ~ I worked on one , once don'cha know :D

BTW : there's many here who prolly know way more than I do .

-Nate

18. Zig

Zig Member

Back to this thread!

Guys, (and gals) it's been another GREAT day! Yes, I was blessed to meet another member of this site- Mel! All the way from across the pond, he and his wife have traveled. They came to Kansas to see the antique truck show and made time to stop by here! I can say first hand that he and his wife are two wonderful people! My daughter kept Sue, Mel's lovely wife, quite busy! :D
    And now, as this day winds down, I can say what a blessing this site has been. I've been lucky enough to have meet three of the members here in the last two months, and they are every bit as great as you could imagine!
    Keep Mel and Sue in your prayers as they wind their way back to Dallas and head for home. I do believe Mel is going to have one slick ride when he's all done with it!:cool:
    All my best Mel~ What an honor!
    I'll post a picture tomorrow!

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  19. Zig

Zig Member

Sorry~ not sure why that didn't work...

So I'll try this! Mel is the handsome one, I'm the goofy looking one. -go figure- The license plate I'm holding is for when I ship my truck over to England. Or is it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  20. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

That's great Zig! Thanks for sharing!

Bob