Haasman's 1951 3100

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Haasman, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Haasman

Haasman Member

I've been asked to post some pictures of my truck. I should point out I have never done anything like this before. I now have the time to work on it and I wanted to do a really good job.

OK, I had no idea what I was getting into. I bought the truck being told it was "somewhat restored" ..... OK..... It wasn't.

First date night in the truck coming back from dinner the headlights went out around a curve! That's when I found out the wiring insulation being 60 years old was dust, literally! Coming down a long steep hill near where I live I found out that 60 year old brakes can't compete with modern disk brakes. I had to pull into the emergency lane when traffic came to a sudden stop ahead. I finally came to a full stop 6 car lengths past. Wow, OK install front disks.

My concept is to keep it basically stock with a few modern improvements. I want to drive it regularly. I took it down to the frame, had a friend who is a sand blaster and a powder coater do the frame and a lot of parts. Our agreement was I would come hang out and he'd powder coat for a reasonable price.

I have learned a ton about drilling out broken bolts, basically how not to do things and also spent some good time with my son, which has been great

So here are some pictures of my project so far. I don't do paint and body work, but I marvel at those that do. I am currently awaiting my cab to be finished painted so I can start putting all those parts back together again.

Because of the patience, generosity and support from this site I am able to overcome some problems and figure out how my Advanced Design goes back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post some more pictures as I make progress. (If I can do this, you can do this!)

Haasman

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

sweet

Can't wait to see it all come together

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for posting those photos, the progress looks gret.

4. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Nice!

Too bad only the guy who runs the lift at the inspection station will get to see all that beauty!

Press on!

5. Wolf

Wolf Member

Now that is a restoration! wow

looks great! what color are you painting the truck;)

6. Haasman

Haasman Member

It is being painted a dark green, the same color before I tore it all down.

Here is the cab in the paint shop-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

Sweet, thanks for the photos.

8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Very nice!

Interesting dropped springs, I've never seen any like those. Where did you get them?

9. Haasman

Haasman Member

Have no idea where they came from. Were on it when I bought it.

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

That's a old rodder's trick. Usually done with a torch.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Job !

You are proving what I keep saying :

You don't need to know what you're doing if you're willing to put in the effort and time to learn and do things right .

As the decades flash by , you'll always have the time you spent with your Son to reflect upon....

12. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Very nice, clean work! Like the green -

13. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Green

I really like the green cab. Really reminds me of my build about 12 years ago.

Thanks for the picks.

I wish I had known the many pearls of wisdom and technique available from this forum when I dismantled my 54. My truck always drawn slots of lookers at the local show and shine. It was painted in 2002. A little trophy or plaque now and then as well.

Jim

14. Haasman

Haasman Member

Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement. I have to admit I am really interested in doing a great job ... but, sometimes I wonder just what I have gotten myself into!

The good news is I got the cab back from the painter and installed it this weekend on the chassis! I can't begin to describe how good feeling this is. Really marks a change in progress. Now everything I am doing is building, not repairing or cleaning. Waited a long time for the phase of the restoration.

[​IMG]

Several things I really am glad I did-

-Ziplock bags (freezer ones because they are tougher) that I put everything I took off into. I had several boxes and black sharpies around the garage, constantly popping different nuts, washers, fasteners into them and labeling like a mad man. NOW, when I am unsure about how a particular part, piece or section goes together, I look for the bag with the parts in it. Incredibly helpful.

-Although it may seem extravagant, I purchase stainless fastener kit for this truck. Yes, stainless is cool (being careful to use some sort of lube like anti-sieze so they don't gall when tightening) but they send you little bags with labels saying for an example "front fenders" or "hood hinges' etc. Very helpful when trying to figure out what bolt goes where. (I dismantled this truck almost two years ago!)

Attached Files:

15. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for the photos of your truck and work. It is really looking Good.

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I always order the hardware kit. In fact, I have one on order from Totally Stainless for the 41 F@@d I'm working on.

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What You Are Doing

....is an incredibly hard time and labor consuming (not to mention your wallet) job that when finished will give you tremendous pride every time you look at or drive it .

You are also self - teaching your self many different things , patience , how to plan jobs , budget time and materiels , work through problems , on and on...

GOOD JOB ! .

18. Haasman

Haasman Member

Thank you Nate.

19. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

cab on

Wow now the cab is on the rest seems like it will go together fast
    Shoot I think I have a years worth of block sanding and re primer myself .
    Your truck is looking real nice along with the rest of the builds here.

20. Haasman

Haasman Member

Haven't updated in a while. Have spend a lot of time working on the firewall area. I rolled some economical sound mat all over the firewall. I then installed padded vinyl cover, held in with bolts and large washers instead of the OEM clips. I am tying to seal the firewall as much as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You don't have to cover all of the panel. The effect is great. Tap on the roof and now it is a dull thud, instead of a kind of "tang" sound.

Tux gets tired hanging out in the garage ....

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014