Hang a door correctly?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by sinerasis, Apr 17, 2007.

1. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

Anyone have some suggestions? Websites that show you how to do it? Right now it's sagging and not closing properly and it's really making me mad. I just want to know how to do it right.

2. drabo

drabo Member

It sounds like it's time to replace the door hinges. Slightly loosen the bolts on the cab and then pull up on the door a little at a time until it closes right. Then tighten the bolts. www.Eastwood.com sells a tool that will help you to atign the door alot quicker than the calibrated eye.

3. 78chevy24

78chevy24 Member

hey

hey i have a 78 chevy truck and the same thing happed to me one door the hinge is broke and the other one is out of alignment i am having a hard time so if find out how reply back

4. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

I believe the correct way is to remove, or at least move the front fenders. This will give you access to the hinge-cab bolts and let you see how the door needs to be adjusted. However, if you don't really want to remove the fenders, you can do as Drabo said. Its less work, but you need to be patient to get good results.

5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

There is door pins bushing to fix that ** if the hinges are not wore out to bad.
    if the hinge is wore to bad then the dash has to come out to make it easier to get the top hinges off.
    The bottom the kick panel have to come off. Oh and some door hinges will have a roll pin to hold the hing in place to get bolt in place.just wiggle a flat blade under the hinge and the door piller to pop off.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  6. crew_cab1978

crew_cab1978 Member

If you have not removed the door heige at this point and the door is sagging, then I believe drabo is correct on the worn door hinges. I suggest you mark the factory location prior to removing them. I would leave them attached to either the cab or the door, which ever is easier. Replace the pin then it will be easier to align the door with only one adjustment to make not both the door and the cab. I have found if you are trying to do it by yourself take as much out of the door as possible to lighten it up to make hanging it a little easier. Your would be suprised how much the glass and regulator weigh. Hope this is helpful.