Hard or Soft, fuel line that is.

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by kjprince, Aug 28, 2004.

1. kjprince

kjprince Member

I am fixing some damage that happend to my truck a while ago and got it all done but noticed that i have a fuel leak in the hard line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb right at the connection to the pump. What i was wondering is if there was any reason why i couldn't just put a nipple on the pump and run soft hose line from there to the carb insted of putting on new hard line. I would have to get all the tools to bend pipe and I really cant afford that quite yet. When i put in the BBC when i do the rebuild i will put in hard line at that time but for now to save money do you all think that soft line from pump to carb will work for now on the inline 6 (230).

Would like to get this done this weekend so any info or opinions would be helpfull.

Kevin

2. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

RE: Hard or Soft, fuel line that is

HELLO KEVIN,

A SOFT LINE WILL WORK JUST FINE.
    HOWEVER IF YOU WANT TO COMPETE IN ANY TYPE OF AUTOMOTIVE RACIN' PROGRAM, SUCH AS NHRA DRAG RACIN', THEN YOU CANNOT HAVE MORE THAN 12" OF SOFT LINE TOTAL.

ON A SIDE NOTE, YOU COULD USE THE MAJORITY OF YOUR HARD LINE IF YOU CUT THE BROKEN END BACK SOME AND REPAIRED IT WITH SOFT LINE.

GOOD THINGS

BRANT

3. kjprince

kjprince Member

would i need to use the braided covering for the tube or is that more for looks?

kevin

4. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

HELLO KEVIN,

I WOULD USE THE COVERING.
    IF MEMEMORY SERVES, THE WAS DESIGNED TO HELP KEEP THE ENGINE HEAT FROM BOILING THE GAS BEFORE IT GOT TO THE CARB. THAT IS IF THE COVERING THAT GOES BETWEEN THE CARB AND PUMP IS THE ONE YOU ARE REFERRING TO.

GOOD THINGS.

BRANT