Harmonic balancer

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by Alex Ayala, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Alex Ayala

Alex Ayala Member

Has anyone ever tried to replace the rubber seal that holds the two pieces of a harmonic balancer together? They sell a repair seal for this and a tool to put it back together, or should I just go to the junk yard and try to find another? I have a '78 small block 350. If I use one from a junk yard, does the weight of the replacement need to be close to or the same as the one I took off, or does it make that big of a difference?

I would appreciate any help, thanks in advance!
    78chevy

2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

The Thing About Balancers Is That, Well, They Balance The Crank Shaft. When Building A Motor You Need To Have The Harmonic Balancer Balanced To The Crankshaft At The Machine Shop Or You Can Run Into Engine Vibration Thats Damaging, Or, Ive Even Seen Guys Not Be Able To Rev The Engine To Higher Rpms Because There So Far Off Balance. If Your Rebuilding A Motor And Your Using A Good Crank, And It Came With The Balancer That It Ran With Before, Youll Usually Be Ok. Ive Never Repaired On Myself, Sounds Kind Of Risky.

3. Alex Ayala

Alex Ayala Member

I'm not rebiulding it right now, I had the timing chain and gears go bad and I was replacing them when I noticed the rubber wasn't seated evenly between both pieces.
    I'll probably call a local engine rebuilder to see what they would recommend.
    Thanks for the help 66 KUSTOM.

78chevy