Has anyone ever added A/C to a CUCV?

Discussion in 'Blazers/Jimmys/Suburbans' started by The Pack Rat, Oct 13, 2008.

1. The Pack Rat

The Pack Rat Member

I'm looking at getting a M1009 for only $900, but I would like to have A/C. I already have a '87 K5 to donate the parts I need. Would this be difficult to add? I'm guessing the 24 volt system would get in the way but I would want to convert to 12 volt anyway.

2. David Hall

David Hall Member

You would have to relocate the battery closest to the firewall, fuel filter housing and the wiring junction block on the firewall. The firewall itself would have to be modified to accept the outside a/c box and inside heater box. Plus, not to mention mounting the a/c compressor to the engine would be difficult with the two alternator setup already in place.
    It can be done because the military had a ambulance version of the M1008, if you could find one and take pics. it would be of great help. I believe that system ran on R12 and has long be discontiued. If you google TM 9-2320-289-34P you will find the CUCV (parts manual for all GM military trucks) This manual uses NSN part numbers in the rear on the manual and Chevy dealers can convert them.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  3. David Hall

David Hall Member