Head Machine work

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 51 HHR, Apr 12, 2012.

1. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

The machine work on my head is done and I picked it up yesterday. All new valves, guides, springs and keepers plus machining of a slight warp that the Machinist had to take off .015 of an inch. Total price with tax $597.00. It looks much better then when I dropped it off after cleaning it up in the hot tank and the valve stems are all nice and shiny.
    He gave me all the old parts and the pitting and wear on the valves is quite evident, overall I am happy with his work he did it pretty quick also.
    Bill

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Well, what are you waiting for?;) Slap it back on and report back!:D If it doesn't work out, I guess I could come up there and take the truck off of your hands. It's the least I could do for ya!:D

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Head Work

.015" ?! holy moly ! you're going to have a High Compression 235 there ! ZOWIE .

I have to send out a " Turbo - Thrift " (don'cha just love marketing B.S. ?) 250 head as it's guides are looser than Madonna's knees..... :( .

I heard of some guy here in So. Cal. who's sharp on L6 heads so I'm keen to drop some $ into unshrouding the valves , smoothing up the exhaust ports , polishing , matching & CC'ing the combustion chambers so it'll breathe better , that's the FIRST thing anyone should do to any engine before wa$ting $ on cams , big bores , multi carbys etc. but few ever do .

I need to find this guy's 'phone # and address .

I hope you know to replace the piston rings at this point ? . failure to do so , will usually result in a good running mosquito fogger .

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Soooooo is .120 off the head and .008 off the block with recessed valves and 9.5:1 pistons a little tooooo much or could it be just the beginning?...lol tims pics 025.jpg

5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Increased compression.

No problem with the new spesifications. These engines have an enourmes tolerance for production of more power . Did you polished your cam or does it have an racing cam that makes it stonger ? Turbo charged 6 inline is posseble to. Considdered that ?

2 in oversized pistons , valved shape or normal centric ?

I love that engine you have there !

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  6. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

It has a Crower cam Split lift/split duration, custom made 4 bolt main caps I beam ground/shot peend rods with Arp rod bolts. The center weight was cut off the crank and the crank was balanced, the rods were weighed and it has a Aluminum fly wheel. The head was also ported and the valves were given a 3 angle grind. I use a Super T10 Borg Warner 4Spd along with a narrowed 9In. with 456 gears and a locker. The rear tires are 31x18.50x15 Mickeys, It will do 102 MPH at 5000 RPMs. I usually shift out of 1St and 2Nd at 6000 RPMs. I'm gonna be pulling it out of storage pretty soon and taking it to the new house where I'm gonna be finishing it up, I think that after 35 years it's about time....

7. fab51

fab51 Member

We need pictures!

Several years ago when I had my head work done, the guy at the machine shop said they didn't do anything like that. Straight stock only. I was disappointed. Same thing was true when I wanted to have the rotating mass balanced...

8. fab51

fab51 Member

I have one of those. lol :D

9. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

I was fortunate enough to have a old guy named Jerry Hill ( RIP ) at Bell and Gains Service Center Modesto Ca. do all the machine work. Bell and Gains builds a lot of race engines and Jerry was one of the sharpest guys around.....

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Machine Shops

At least they were HONEST ! so few are these days .

Many times they'll $oak you The Lolly then not do anything extra , hoping you'll not know the difference :mad: .

FWIW : a " three angle " valve grind , is the basic original valve grind on every engne ever made ! charging you extra is BUNK IMO , they do so because it takes time and they're LAZY .

In theory ones the initial three angles are done , you only needs touch up the senter grind but this isn't actually true .

I'd like to see Big Tim's engine roar in person , and no , it's not too much , it's just not for me .

I like to build an engine once .

11. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Wow this one piece of machinery you have there Big Tim!

Thanks fore all that spec. information. I am gonna study everything in details as i like such engine improvements much.

Thanks again.
    :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012