Headers Straight Pipes -vs- Headers With Glass Packs

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 283 man, Mar 27, 2008.

1. 283 man

283 man Member

Trying to decide which set up to go better on my 66 with my excaust leaning more toward glass packs headers which sounds better?:D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. i love my 64

i love my 64 Member

im going with the glass pack as well there great

3. Blues65

Blues65 Member

I run headers and glass packs in my Barracuda and they do sound awesome (but loud). I recommend investing in some Dynomat sound deadening material to quiet the cab, the noise can get annoying on long drives.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

The real problem with "noise" in the cab is resonance. The best way of getting rid of it and still run glass pack mufflers is to install tail pipes behind the mufflers. A set of full length tail pipes that dump out behind the rear wheels removes resonance inside the cab.

FYI: I installed Smitty's on my panel with tail pipes. Sounded like a HOT 58 Olds from back in the day ! ;)

Val

5. 283 man

283 man Member

I do like the headers glass pack set up :rolleyes:

6. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

i perfer headers and flowmasters myself, while glass packs are inexpensive, ive never cared for the crackle pop sound when decalerating. if i had it my way it would be open header all the time, but the popo doesnt care much for that. thats why im running cut outs so i can shut the valve (hopefully) before popo starts chasing me.

7. Blues65

Blues65 Member

I guess I'm just getting too old ;)

8. drabo

drabo Member

TOO LOUD!!!!!!! Is there such a thing. Nothing sounds better to me than a SBC screaming down the road. I'm running headers with long tube glasspacks. Short tube glass packs are a little louder. What ever you do don't dump the exahust under the cab. You start getting a head ache at every stop light.

9. 283 man

283 man Member

yea going run the pipes past the cab probably in front of rear wheels exiting out in front of wheels on both sides,glass packs are long ones figure its about time the people who live next to me there hearing back been running straight headers:D love that sound too!!:cool:

10. dvalentine

Where do you guys LIVE ??? The Helen Keller Gated Community ???? ;)

Val

11. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

my exhaust has long headers with cable operated cut outs that dump out just below the bench seat, the rest of the exhausts runs a foot past the rear bumper, that way the flame shooting wont fry the paint. i put the cut outs right under me so when im stopped at a stop sign, next to a kid in a foriegn car, my cut outs are pointing directly towards his window. i like to make sure they can really hear what an american motor sounds like.

12. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

ha, thats funny dval, i thought helen keller was blind not deaf?? :D

13. Mykul

Mykul Member

She was both.

14. TimE

TimE Member

And she also couldn't talk until she got a little older.

15. dvalentine

If she drove a pickup with open headers right under her,,, she wouldn't be able to THINK either !!! ;)

Val

16. 283 man

283 man Member

thats funny D VAL:D:D..

17. devildog 1950

devildog 1950 Member

Loud Pipes cost $$ in Calif.

Val is right as far as Calif ,(noise cost $$) has some real "Chickin S--T" Chp officers that will write tickets for anything that they feel is going to make the court money on out of state drivers,Hell people out there change a flat at 75mph ! They all are always in a BIG HURRY to get to the next gas station. It cost $649.50 last fall for 7 mph over the posted limit !!!! And I was the on Hy 99 , my glass packs he said were excisive noise that was $150.00 of the total. I love loud pipes had em for ever but they will cost you if you go in Calif.

18. dvalentine

CALIFORNIA State Motto

California ! We're Not a State,,, We're a CONDITION !!

19. Bruno

Bruno Member

Hey 66kustom,I like your way of doing things.What headers are u runnin and how did you set up that cable with the cut outs.Thats an awesome idea.Thats right,theres nothing like a SBC chevy motor(especily a 383 stroker with dual quads)and hooker headers.I don,t know if I would run glass packs behind headers.Val is right about pipes out the back with glass packs.I plan to run my pipe out in front of the rear tires,But with a stainless steel set of mufflers.Like they say LOUD pipes saves lifes.I also have a 1971 350 chevy motor for sale complete w/three speed trans if any one needs a good strong motor.

20. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

thanks bruno, the headers are hooker perfomers that are specific for our truck years. i had to braze them on because there cast iron. i also drilled and tapped them to put a bolt in so i could run a spring from the bolt to the lever were the cables attach. that way the spring pulls in both direction for open and closed, otherwise they dont quite stay all the way open or closed, but the work perfect now. also i mounted the cables as close to the bench seat and as close to the floor as i could to keep the cops from seeing them, i also joined the cable handles together with a piece of polished aluminum so that the cut outs both open evenly with only two fingers to pull. you can pick them up at jegs, summit, jc whitney. only one company makes them. you can electric ones now that are $500 a piece or you can go with traditional cutouts, and ad an electricly operated valve for around $190 a piece. more expensive then i wanted to spend at the time. this picture is from when i was moching everthing up, sorry its hard to see the spring. the headers are 2 1/2" and the cutouts are 2" after the cutouts i continued running 2 1/2" all the way out the back. the cut outs work good for a little back pressure that is needed.

and hell yes, loud pipes save lives!!!! i hope not to offend anyone, but i have huge sticker on my toolbox from hotrodthug.com that says over brass knuckles "drive fast, drive loud, piss people off!!"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008