Headliner for 1947

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by rereaves, Feb 25, 2011.

1. rereaves

rereaves Member

Trying to complete my interior and it's time for the headliner and the cab seal. Need your feedback on headliners (stock and custom) what works and what does not.

I would sure like to see some pictures for both ideas and to see where the liner begins and ends? My current thought is to purchase the two piece headliner from our sponsor and then cover it with vinyl to match my interior however not sure if that will work. Does the cab seal overlap the headliner? I have the metal strips which secure to the cab on top of the rubber strip but not sure I'm going to use them, they are in poor condition and not sure I like the look, again your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ron's 47

2. Wolf

Wolf Member

do a search on here for those. i know many people have trouble with the cardboard ones, as they don't quite fit right. I thougth there were a few thread around on these. I just sanded mine down and primed and painted. Good enough for me for now!

3. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks!

Charles, this is exactly why I will buy the abs or pvc one, if I can't come up with an idea of my own! The buckling/falling apart of these items before they are more than 5 years old is

frustrating! :mad:

(Cardboard quality must have dropped off drastically, over the years.)

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

I have other words for it, throw good money on garbage items from China.
    That head liner is a burden to put in only to have it go to something that needs to be trashed so quickly.

Chevy of the 40's
    CHEVROLET HEADLINER - 1-PIECE, MOULDED ABS PLASTIC
    Moulded Headliner. Fits 1947-53 Chevy trucks, except Suburban.
    For 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 Chevrolet Trucks
    3676357P 47-53 $212.00 Each

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The pre 50s are easier in that the center bow is a screw in, not the slip fit nightmare that is the newer style, though I'm shure it is still a cause of rectal irritation.

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Ron, what I found when I replaced mine is that the 2 piece repops available from most vendors, are cut too short!

1950 chev pu 067.jpg

1950 chev pu 068.jpg

1950 chev pu 069.jpg

After 3 tries at installing and calling the vendor and getting 2 more repops, I ended up going to an art supply store and bought a sheet of cardboard and used my old original headliner as a template to cut the new pieces.

7. Zig

Zig Member

How's that working? What kind of carboard?
    I was thinking maybe using that real thin shower stall material?
    (The ultra cheap stuff that is as thick as about 4 sheets of paper...?)

8. rereaves

rereaves Member

Thanks for the replies to my headliner issues. I only found one company making a plastic insert, the company I called was Rod Door's. Apparently they have developed a plastic insert which you can paint or cover. They indicated it required minor trimming to fit however the cost was over $200 and they had a very limited supply. Based on my conversation with Rod Doors they no longer have the inventory they once had, better check to see it they are still in business. Looks like the major issue is finding the correct material to cover. Guess my next option is to have it done by "the pro's" I wonder what they use?

Ron's 47

9. rereaves

rereaves Member

Ken, thanks for the pictures they are very helpful.

Ron

10. sonny42

sonny42 Member

Ron

I bought a one piece fiberglass one, I'm almost sure that I got it fron Bow Tie Bits. t was around $150.00 before shipping. I have not installed it yet.Still have a silver Fat Mat(sound deadener) headliner. Hope this helps.

11. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

I wonder if anyone has had a professional upholster to install the headliner?