heat riser question

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by Purney, May 1, 2009.

1. Purney

Purney Member

I have been trying to get my heat riser to work and am having issues. its loose and well lubricated and the spring is in good shape. On an other site this advice was given to me:

"When it is closed the flat part on the bottom should be horizontal. When open the weight pivots toward the engine against spring pressure about 35-45 degrees. When released it should go back to the closed position. The spring relaxes when it gets hot & it opens from exhaust pressure as you are driving. It still remains closed at idle but opens freely when driving."

I found a post on this site by Nate that says that that it will go to the open position when it heats up and if it only opens when you open the throttle then its on backward. I wish I had a pic of when its in cold and when its hot.

It could be I have read so much if have totally confused my self. Currently the counter weight makes a move towards the hot position (towards the engine, right?) when I rev the engine, but other than that it stays in the cold position (flat part of the counter weight parallel with the ground) When looking at the counter weight straight on,cold is basically at 12 or 1 oclock and hot is basically 10:00

Somebody set me straight!