heat riser spring

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by old blue, Nov 22, 2005.

1. old blue

old blue Member

Just went to replace my heat riser spring which I thought had fallen off...but it looks like at some point it broke off and there is still part of it wedged in tight. I worked at it for a couple of hours but can't seem to budge what's left in there. Any ideas on what I can do short of taking manifold off....really don't want to do that!!

Chuck

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It's a bugger of a job as the slotted shaft is very easy to break off if you hammer it too hard or twist it sideways at all .

I have a stubby 3/16" flat blade screwdriver I use with a light ballpien hammer , I ever so gently tap it straight in the end untill ip opens just enough to wiggle the broken spring end out . no need to re-crimp it shut again after new spring is installed .

Work _gently_ ! .

-Nate

3. old blue

old blue Member

Hey Nate,
    finally got it...had to use a combination of screwdrivers, picks and even a small hacksaw blade. there is still a piece of the old spring that won't budge, but I wasn't going test my luck any further.

It seems to have made a difference when shifting into 3rd and 4th (Patrick's saginaw set-up) I used to have a flat spot with not much power...not there now?!

It looks like there is only one way to put on the spring...I think I did it right. Who da thunk such a small thing would make such a difference.

Chuck

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: heat riser & Hesitation

Well ;

Ya gotta remember : that's a _l o n g_ intake manifold with a relatively small carby on it so optimizing the tune up is a must , you really should to the ' throttle ping test ' when setting the timing , setting the points with a dwell meter to ensure proper Ign. coil saturation helps a lot too .

Then adjust the carby either with a exh. gas sniffer or vacuum gauge all helps a lot . (adjust to the highest _steady_ vacuum reading)

Of course , any time you have the cylinder head off one should at the very least , have the exhaust ports smoothed up and a 3 angle valve grind , there's more I'd do , all to ensure good flow as good flow ensure full power available at all RPM's as well as reducing the heat levels , increasing power and economy etc.

There's much to do and the heat risor helps ensure the mixture stays in suspension instead of sticking to the intake manifold walls .

Pat yourself on the back and go drive for a cold beverage of your choice in celebration .

-Nate