Heater control valve options

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Tailgater, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Let me admit right up front that I have misplaced my origianl HCV. There, I blame it on a condition that I have, O.L.D. So, I looked on ebay and CP and others and I have seen them anywhere from $50 to $100. Well, since my heater is pretty much going to be for looks, I am not going to use that kind of valve unless I find one laying in a fence row somewhere.

So, it seems to me that, having looked under the hood of hundreds if not thousands of these old trucks that there were many of them that had a simple plumbing valve at the water pump. They were placed between the WP and the hose connector. That way the driver (farmer) would turn it on and have heat in the winter and turn it off in the Spring to keep the hot water from circulating through the heater. Has anyone seen this or did I dream it? Does anyone have their unit set up like this?

Any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Gater

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Gater, you are absolutely right. They had a heater shutoff valve that screwed into the water pump. Chevs of the 40's sells them for $27.

3. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I found a pic. I will look in Chevs and see what they have. Thanks Ken.

Attached Files:

4. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Here is what they have for $27. I think I will check out the local Home Depot plumbing department first. Looks to me like these are pipe threads. I could use a valve with a short nipple and do the same thing. It would even look authentic like the ones I remember the farmers having around here. That way, If I ever find that doggone control valve that I lost I can use it without having spent much in the meantime.
    Gater

Attached Files:

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Just out of curiousity

Do you have either one of these heaters?

50 chevy pu 081.jpg

6. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Yes. In fact I have 2 of them and one of the old beehive heaters. I reckon I will need an electircal controller mounted on the bottom of the dash to control the motor. I have a couple of them too but they look like crap.
    Gater

Updated 2/11
    My bad, Ken,
    I have the fresh air type heater. I didn't look close enough at your image.
    Gater

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  7. kyle

kyle Member

i looked at both heaters and mine was different from both of them. It was similar to them but it had the word MOPAR on it. haha. Needless to say i jerked it out of the truck
    ________
    Bmw 247 Engine

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  8. Boopster

Boopster Member

Hcv

Kyle, I found one at the local parts house for about 15$. It is brand new or should I say only used once... for 2 weeks. Since the Boop now has an all new A/C - heater unit it want be used again. It is simular to the one pictured below with the small twist type handle. They should be available if you can find an old time parts house. The new guys probably want know what you are talking about,or at least the Autozone nearest me didn't. I don't think they can even spell chevrolet, they do pretty good with F**D, but that's a short four letter word:eek:

Anywho, I do remember my grandad's old chevy having what looked like a water faucet type control (it might have been his riggin) but it worked and at times it was my job to get out and open it up so we could be warm.

TB'sD

9. Zig

Zig Member

Wouldn't shutting down the system for months at a time allow the core to rot quicker? It would seem like the circulation would keep it clean and flowing longer than shutting it down. Hot in summer- but that's the passenger's problem. That could explain the holes in the floorboard. Not so much "rust outs" as they were the passenger attempting to get better ventilation going.

By the way Kyle, I found the pic you're using for your avatar- It makes me happy to see yet another BEAUTIFUL
    GMC avatar!;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  10. 54chevtruck

54chevtruck Member

Zig, you are correct shutting it down just leaves the coolant in the hoses & core sitting which can lead to issues down the road. Most of the valves I have seen do not seal 100% anyway so it does have some slight flow. If your heater core is good is best to crack the valve at least a little bit so it will allow some sort of flow to keep moving the fluid. The valve on my '54 is original still works fairly well. The heater unit was rebuilt and the core is also original so until it leaks is ok. The amount of heat you get from it in the summer will not be noticeable anyway. Most of us running more original style trucks just have the fresh air vent open anyway-Cheap man's air conditioning ! By the way Zig did not know if you really know what GMC stands for ? My grandfather always said was meaning "Give Me a Chevrolet:D

11. Zig

Zig Member

I thought you were my friend...

Ouch Steve! OUUUUUUUUUUch!

Well- at least give me the grill from a Chevy- I already have the frame.;)

JUST KIDDING!

Did I mention my doors when they shut go "click"?:D

I'll keep my GMC, thank you very much!:cool:

12. 54chevtruck

54chevtruck Member

You got it Zig, GMC's are full brothers to us Chevrolet boys. I personally like the look of the GMC just could never figure out the Positive or Ground deal on the 6 volt. As long as you got a AD you are one of the group here. Just keep the F**d guy's out

13. Zig

Zig Member

Steve- Just between you and me, I feel there are a BUNCH of F$%# people out there... For those people all I have to say is we ARE human- not perfect! As long as they respect that this is a Chevy & GMC (Greater Made Chevy) site, we shouldn't have any problems.:D

14. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Zig,
    I have to confess that I drove a F'#D once but I didn't inhale. Wait, is that political?
    Gater

15. 52stake

52stake Member

As to the question, flow or no flow. It looks to me like the heater control valve stops or restricts the flow anyway. Stopping it at some other point should have the same effect on the core. Heck vise grips work.

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yep ;

How well I recall in the fall , one chilly morning we'd stop and I'd go under the hood with my frozen fingers and try to open the firmly stuck shut hot water valve screwed into the cylinder head .

It was indeed , a simple basic plumbing part and most auto parts stores usta-did carry them , I'm quite sure Weatherhead still has them but you'll prolly have to order it up .

I always tossed the original one out the instant it began to leak and replaced it with the _identical_ valve except it'd have a BIG ugly red knob on it so I could more easily open or close it.....

Those were the days .