Heater control

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Hankster, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Hankster

Hankster Member

The truck i'm re-doing had an aftermarket AC at one time. They had put in a Heat-off-Cool toggle switch under the dash. I'd like to set it up like it was from the factory...but can't see how the blower was originally turned off.The control in the dash only has hi-med-low settings..and no blower off position....how did original heat only equipped trucks turn the blower motor completely off???

2. AC_DC_2001

AC_DC_2001 Member

I'm guessing that you have an early-to-mid 70's model, cause I got a 74 and there is no way to turn the blasted thing off aside from disconnecting all the wires from it. I had never seen one that couldn't be turned off till I got mine.

3. Hankster

Hankster Member

You're kidding!!! It runs full time??? Well if thats the case.....I'll permanently install the switch that the AC guy had put in.....it was installed in a tacky way,but I can do it better.
    Fan that can't be shut off.....not one of thier better ideas!!!

4. Shorty

Shorty Member

Most GM vehicles at this time used what was called flow thru ventilation in order to keep the cab from becoming too stuffy. My short bed fan stays on all the time at a very low setting and is very quiet (of course I just replaced the blower motor, squirrle cage fan, And resistor switch) and you can't even hear it with the engine running and the stereo playing. Not discounting the fact the engine is a modified 250 6 cyl with header and a seies 50 flow master muffler that dumps in front of the driver side rear wheel. Ahh love the sound. :)

Anyway, all you have to do is run a simple "on off" toggle switch from the heater blower switch on the control panel to the heater blower resistor switch. This wire runs from the control panel across the inside of the firewall to the passenger side, outside to the resistor switch (I don't remember the wire color code)and that should do the trick.

Short Bed Shorty :7