Heater core

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by dorcutt, Jan 7, 2019.

1. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

B9AD3B46-9CD8-4107-B1F3-78FA4EF85DF5.jpeg While waiting for a package from our host I decide to tackle the heater. This is what I uncovered,
    Core look pretty bad, it says Harison on it I believe. I have a radiator shop near me but after reading the various threads here I’m not to hopeful. A new core looks like its going to cost an arm and a leg and not many around. Any other options? Any body have any experience with the host upgrade? Would prefer to keep it original if I could.
    Thanks. Dave

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You can try cleaning it with a dilute solution of Citric Acid and distilled water then installing it and adding some Copper Seal, that's pretty good stuff, the OEM's use the cheaper AlumaSeal in their news cars .

There used to be a place in New England that still made these round heater cores, I have no idea the name of the shop .

3. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

I may have found a place in Maine that seems to repair them. Found it in one of the threads for the earlier trucks. It look like the same one in my 51.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I be that's it ~ send them an E-Mail and include the pictures and P/N's, see what they say .

Be sure to post back here if it works out in your favor .