heater doesn't blow that much

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Ricky, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Ricky

Ricky Member

Hi,
    I'm new on this forum, i am from the Netherlands so I hope you understand me.
    I have a 59 Apache 1/2 ton. I replaced the heater motor and the fan, but it doesn't blow that much on my front window. How is that possible? I did look once again, the motor turns the right way, so it blows but not that much. Can someone help me?
    grtz Rick

2. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

Welcome Rick , Only thing I know is to Make Sure all of Your Ducts are sealed tightlly so Your not loosing the amount of air Moving. Also Make Sure You dont have any Obstructions in the top defrost ducts .

I,m Guessing You have the deluxe heater with the control levers in the dash ? Even Working Perfectlly They dont seem to blow out enough air to suit Me, But Better then Nothing at all :D . Best of Luck. Bob

3. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

Make sure the hoses that go to the defrost vents are fully attached. Duct tape works well for me.

4. cosmo1957

cosmo1957 Member

This topic sounds like a married guy joke !

5. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

This topic sounds like a married guy joke !

Sounds like Cosmo needs a new heater.

6. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    You know Cosmo, I found that getting a younger/newer 12V heater/blower solved all those problems. Its rare that I have a frosting problem now!

7. Ricky

Ricky Member

I added a new motor a new fan new hoses, taped it and still doesn't blow that much.
    I think I have to live with it.
    grtz Rick

8. drabo

drabo Member

Does your heater have a resistor on it? On mine there is one behind the glove compatrment. When these get old they put more resistance which in turn puts more of a voltage drop on the circuit which in turn causes the motor to not turn fast enough and not blow enough air. I have this problem on my truck but since I'm now in Florida it's not exactly high prioity. You can take a wire from the blower and straight to the battery and see if it blows hard. Other wise it could be a hole in the ducts or cables not routed right.

9. Ricky

Ricky Member

Hi,
    I don't have the deluxe heater. I have the simple one. I put the wire straigt from the motor to a switch and (with a fuse) to the battery, so there is no resistance between it. I use the black hose sold through classicparts, the black one that has ribs in it. Maybe I need a smooth one?
    grtz Rick