Heater Hose Shut off valve

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Mike K, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Mike K

Mike K Member

I have posted this on a couple of other sites. But thought I would post it here to see what your thinking was.

I just purchased a heater hose shut-off valve to keep the heater from producing heat in the summer. But I have a couple of questions about installing it.

On my truck I have a 3/4" hose that runs from the heater core to the water pump and a 5/8" hose that runs from the heater core to just below the top radiator hose. Which of these lines do I put this valve in?

On the valve there is an arrow printed. Which direction does that arrow point? Toward the heater core or toward the engine?

Thanks for your help.

2. Rick

Rick Member

Well the valve should be the size of one of the hoses (either 5/8 or 3/4) If not it should go on the hose that comes out of the water pump (the water pump pushes the water though the heater core to the thermostat)

Rick
    tech2@chevyduty.com

3. Mike K

Mike K Member

I think the valve inlet and outlet size are 5/8, if I measured correctly. So, should I put in on the 5/8 hose instead of the 3/4 even if it is the return line from the heater?

4. Rick

Rick Member

Yes put it on the 5/8 hose you should be fine
    Rick
    tech2@chevyduty.com

5. Mike K

Mike K Member

Okay!

Thanks for responding in such a timely manner.