help! 59 chevy truck wiper problems

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by toddstergto67, Dec 10, 2007.

1. toddstergto67

toddstergto67 Member

i just bought the cheaper wiper motor conversion from classic parts for my 59 chevy truck, 149.00, i cant get it to bolt up, it had a bracket on the old motor but it wont bolt up, i'm very disgusted, should i send the motor back and get a new one some other place? i called the tech department and they couldn't help me at all, please help, thanks

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Best bet is to go to some meets and look at Hot Rods , talk to others who've done this allready and maybe look up underneath their dashboards , snap a pic or two .

I still run the vacuum wipers as they work great , never a problem and silent too .

3. rmtautomotive

rmtautomotive Member

wipers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt there two motors. One replaces the vacuum wipers, and one replaces the electric. I dont think the mounting is the same. Probably needed the more expensive one from my experience.
    Rod

4. steve

steve Member

I believe you are correct regarding the two different motors. The motor you have may be for the 55 cab, you said you have the 59, very little difference, hinge bolting and some different holes in the floor. I purchase a motor prior to the 59 bracket being supplied with them. I called New Port "Clean Wipe" and they stated if I sent them my new motor they would send me the new motor and bracket they offer to install in the 59 cab. I just fabricated my own, but there are two motors and a small differences in brackets. I do believe you will need wiper arm from a 55 cab, and not used your 59 wiper linkage, this is true with the new setup also. Hang in there and don't get frustrated, it ant fun then.

5. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

wipers

Nate ,
    I have just restored my 55 and I have vaccum wipers also. would it be to much trouble for you send me the vaccum schematic . Ihave the original fuel/vaccum pump . when I got hte trruck yrs ago the vaccum source was directly from the intake and I know this is incorrect .
    Thanks,
    Dane St. Cyr
    Opelousas, La.
    337-344-0469

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Vacuum Wipers

Good morning Dane ;

I have no schematic but the proper connection is quite simple :

The wipers are connected directly to the _suction_ nipple of the dual action fuel pump and the outlet nipple of the fuel pump is connected to the old intake manifold fitting .

In this way , the correct amount of vacuum is always available to the wiper motor as when the intake vacuum exceeds the pump's vacuum
    (@ idle) it will draw through the pump and as the engine speed increases the pump will begin to provide a higher level of vacuum as the intake vacuum drops off.....

I hope this helps .

Reember everyone : valve adjustment and correct igntion timing is crucial to proper vacuum wiper operation as is havng the correct , light tension wiper arms , if you have heavy springs on the wier arms , too much drag will be encountered and the vacuum motor will slow drastically or stall altogether .

7. 55-59 TruckNut

55-59 TruckNut Member

Source for rebuilt Electric Wipers

Most don't know this but the 55-57's are different than the 58-59's. And electric wipers did not come out on the 55-59's until 1957.

If anyone is looking for a source for a rebuilt electric wiper motor send me a PVT message.

55-59 TruckNut:D

8. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

The frame on 58 and 59 trucks are also 2 inches longer then the 55-57's.For the wiper motor i would find a good old one or a nos because the repos are crap!I bought one and alot of trouble with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008