Help Chubby Chassis cross member in

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by mcarrel, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

I am installing a Chubby Chassis IFS in my 57 truck project. It seems Chubby Chassis is in the process of moving and I can't get a hold of them right now. I am trying to locate the cross member location. Does anyone have the measurements on where the cross member welds in or a set of instructions? If nothing else I can machup the whole front end and measure the wheelbase but looking for the easier route. I purchased the IFS on Ebay and didn't get the doccumentation with it. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark
    See my project here www.tagworld.com/AZMark

2. backntyme55

backntyme55 Member

RE: Help Chubby Chassis cross membe

HEY YOU'RE IN LUCK I JUST PUT IN A HEIDT'S SUPERIDE IN MY 55 AND I HAVE THE MEASUREMENT UR LOOKING FOR. IT IS 20-7/8 INCHES BACK FROM THE FRONT SPRING SHACKLE HOLE IN THE FRAME. ON MINE THAT IS THE CENTER POINT FOR CENTER OF THE HEIDTS CROSSMEMBER CHUBBY SHOULD BE THE SAME AS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR CENTER OF THE WHEELS. MEASURE TWICE WELD ONCE! DONT FORGET THE BOXING PLATES FOR THE FRAME BEFORE YOU DROP IT IN. GOOD LUCK! ( BY THE WAY I THINK I SAW THAT ON EBAY CPP HAD IT AND IT LOOKED GOOD)

3. backntyme55

backntyme55 Member

http://classictrucks.com/tech/0506cl_heidt/ "A TECH ARTICLE THAT MAY HELP WITH PICS" ALSO GO TO CPP HAS ONE TOO.

4. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

Thanks for the info you info is exactly right. I was able to get a hold of the people from Chubby Chassis they were very helpful. They are still in the process of moving and getting setup in their new place. They said to call anything if I needed any help great people.

Thanks
    See my project here http://www.tagworld.com/AZMark

5. backntyme55

backntyme55 Member

GOOD DEAL! WHAT COLOR IS THAT YOU PAINTED THE CAB? I JUST SHOT A FORD BLUE THAT LOOKS REAL CLOSE ON MY BROTHER'S BRONCO. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT A 55 CHEVY WITH COBALT BLUE THAT REALLY NICE TOO. LOOKS LIKE LOTS OF WORK YOU'VE PUT IN ON IT! NICE JOB!

6. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

T-Time I sent you an email

7. backntyme55

backntyme55 Member

HOW IS THE NEW CHUBBY CHASSIS WORKING FOR YOU? LAST TIME YOU WERE LOOKING FOR A NEW REAR END. DID YOU GET THAT DONE. CURIOS AS TO IF YOU WERE ABLE TO USE THE SAME MOTOR MOUNTS AFTER YOU INSTALLED THE CHUBBY? I AM ABOUT TO WELD UP MY AXLE BRACKETS ON MY 4 BAR KIT TOMORROW AFTER MUCH STUDY ON HOW TO GET THE ANGLE CORRECT. I GOT SOME GOOD INFO AT THE SPRINGFIELD NSRA SHOW LAST MONTH FROM INLAND EMPIRE DRIVELINE PEOPLE ON HOW TO GET THAT ANGLE RIGHT. (IEDLS.COM).

8. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

The Chubby IFS worked out great I had to buy rack extenders so I could set the toe. Now working on the rear. I got a Ford 8.8 rear axle out of 88 tbird turbo coupe 3.73 limited slip disk brake on ebay $56.00. I was thinking about the Ford Explorer rearend but found the pinion is offset over 2 inches. I had to buy new axles and caliper brackets to convert to 5x4.5 pattern like the front. Now it uses standard 94-2004 mustang brakes and is 59 1/2 inches wide this should work. Just finished going thru the rear end it is ready to go should be buying the 4-link setup this week. Which one are you going to use? I think I am going to get the one from CPP I think it is made by Heidts Rod Shop. I will be back on 4 wheels very soon.

I got a complete with everything 350 V8 (needs rebuilding) and a 700R4 trans (rebuilt a year ago) out of 88 chevy truck. I am going to buy the IFS side motor mounts. I don't want to mach up the engine until after it is rebuilt but need to I guess to figure out the drive shaft angle when welding in the rear axle. The problem is I can't move the truck till I get the rear axle in........ So I may just clamp the rear axle in some how tempory or maybe a tack weld. Haven't decided.

Truck photos here www.tagworld.com/azmark/

9. backntyme55

backntyme55 Member

I JUST BOUGHT THE SIDE MOTOR MOUNTS AND TRANSMISSION CROSSMEMBER FROM TCI.I BROUGHT MY MOTOR HOME MEMORIAL WEEKEND (350 CHEVY)WITH A TURBO 350 ATTACHED TO IT STILL.I PUT IT IN AS CLOSE AS I CAN (WITHOUT PUTTING THE CAB BACK ON)TO SEE WHAT THAT REAR END ANGLE WAS GOING TO NEED TO BE. I BOUGHT PROTRACTOR WITH A MAGNETIC BASE AT SEARS AND IT LOOKS LIKE 3 DEGREES UP ON THE AXLE BRACKET OF THE HEIDTS 4 BAR UNIT I GOT FROM A HEIDTS DEALER. MY SUPERRIDE IFS CROSSMEMBER IS WELDED IN AND ALL THE PARTS ARE STILL IN THE BOXES IN MY CLOSET! UP ON JACK STANDS WITH A FRESHLY SAND BLASTED AND "POR 15" PAINTED FRAME NOW! I SURE WOULD LIKE TO GET SOMETHING FINISHED! THE 350 HAS TO BE REBUILT AND I THINK I AM GOING TO DO AS MUCH OF IT AS POSSIBLE MYSELF.SURE WAS A LOT OF NICE RIDES AT THE SPRINGFIELD MO. NSRA MID AMERICA EVENT! AND PUEBLO CO.JUST FINISHED LAST WEEKEND. I MISSED IT BUT THAT WAS CLOSER TO YOU THAN ME I THINK. HEY CHECK OUT THIS DIGITAL PAINT BOOTH THING I GOT AT SPRINGFIELD IT IS REAL COOL. WWW.HOUSEOFKOLOR.COM $50.00 FUN TOY.! I GOT TO GET WITH IT AFTER 50 A GUY SHOULD BE ENJOYING THE RIDE A LITTLE AND BUILDING THE RIDE LESS! THAT MEANS I GOT 2.5 YEARS TO FINISH. HA ! TULSA TIME TO THE GARAGE! LATER PAUL

10. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

>I JUST BOUGHT THE SIDE MOTOR MOUNTS AND TRANSMISSION
    >CROSSMEMBER FROM TCI.I BROUGHT MY MOTOR HOME MEMORIAL
    >WEEKEND (350 CHEVY)WITH A TURBO 350 ATTACHED TO IT STILL.I
    >PUT IT IN AS CLOSE AS I CAN (WITHOUT PUTTING THE CAB BACK
    >ON)TO SEE WHAT THAT REAR END ANGLE WAS GOING TO NEED TO BE.
    >I BOUGHT PROTRACTOR WITH A MAGNETIC BASE AT SEARS AND IT
    >LOOKS LIKE 3 DEGREES UP ON THE AXLE BRACKET OF THE HEIDTS 4
    >BAR UNIT I GOT FROM A HEIDTS DEALER. MY SUPERRIDE IFS
    >CROSSMEMBER IS WELDED IN AND ALL THE PARTS ARE STILL IN THE
    >BOXES IN MY CLOSET! UP ON JACK STANDS WITH A FRESHLY SAND
    >BLASTED AND "POR 15" PAINTED FRAME NOW! I SURE WOULD LIKE TO
    >GET SOMETHING FINISHED! THE 350 HAS TO BE REBUILT AND I
    >THINK I AM GOING TO DO AS MUCH OF IT AS POSSIBLE MYSELF.SURE
    >WAS A LOT OF NICE RIDES AT THE SPRINGFIELD MO. NSRA MID
    >AMERICA EVENT! AND PUEBLO CO.JUST FINISHED LAST WEEKEND. I
    >MISSED IT BUT THAT WAS CLOSER TO YOU THAN ME I THINK. HEY
    >CHECK OUT THIS DIGITAL PAINT BOOTH THING I GOT AT
    >SPRINGFIELD IT IS REAL COOL. WWW.HOUSEOFKOLOR.COM $50.00
    >FUN TOY.! I GOT TO GET WITH IT AFTER 50 A GUY SHOULD BE
    >ENJOYING THE RIDE A LITTLE AND BUILDING THE RIDE LESS! THAT
    >MEANS I GOT 2.5 YEARS TO FINISH. HA ! TULSA TIME TO THE
    >GARAGE! LATER PAUL

Paul
    What a coincidence my goal is to be driving mine by my 50th bday I will be 48 next month. I only have 2 years left hope I make it there is so much left to do but I am having fun. Sounds like you are on your way, let me know how the 4-link works out I haven't ordered mine yet any day now hope to have it in the next week or two. I have my rear axle ready to go and I c-notched the rear just in case I need the extra clearance. I figured much easier now than later. We will have to keep in touch. I went to the link but it was just the home page not sure what you bought from there. Talk to you later.

Mark

11. backntyme55

backntyme55 Member

for those of you confused by that last link try this it is a demo of the paint software i got. http://www.hokdigitalpaintbooth.com/site/demo/Digital%20Paint%20Booth.html

12. scarab777

scarab777 Member

Hey Mark, I am re-storing a '56 chevy and will also be installing a "superride suspension". Did you install it yourself? Was it as easy as they say? What suprises? Can a regular guy install it?

13. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

Installing your IFS

Scarab
    I did install it myself. It wasn't that hard as long as you have some welding skills and a BFH. The worst part is removing the old cross member and spring hangers. Those factory rivets are not easy to get out. They don't out drill easy I used my grinder to grind the heads off flush then with some persuading and a BFH (big hammer). large punch, and a lot of sweat they came out. The next hardest part was c-notching the frame for the rack and then boxing everything. I made all my own boxing plates. Welding in the new cross member and bolting everything together is pretty easy. You can see my project here http://tagworld.com/AZMark

14. scarab777

scarab777 Member

superide

Hey,
    So the hardest part was the rivets? I still have a few that just won't move. Did you also replace the steering column? What motor mounts did you use? What angle was you rear end set up to? I am picking up a disc brake rear end with 3.73 down in california this weekend and the info would really help. Any help you could give me would not go unnoticed.
    thanks, steve

15. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

Steve
    Removing the rivets is a pain. I found a tilt steering column from a 72 Chevy truck I am going to use that. Just finished cleaning it up and making mounting brackets and am going to paint same color as the truck this weekend. I haven’t got my motor mounts yet I was thinking of using TCI's mounts and trans cross member. I wish things were moving faster but I have to save some bucks before the next big spending spree. When I welded my rear axle to the 4-link brackets I set the angle at 3 deg and plan on setting the engine at a 4 deg angle. Since I used the 4-link rear suspension I have some lee way for adjustment. I don't claim to be a expert so please check for yourself and ask others there maybe a better way. Have fun on your project I do on mine.

16. scarab777

scarab777 Member

Hey McGyver,

Thanks for the info. I thought that 3 deg was the right number but I am going to wait until I get the motor/trans installed to be sure. I bought a the same column but non-tilt for the floor shifter. How far should it stick out of the cab? I heard that 2" is the right number? Are you using the crossmembers from classic?

SEND ME SOME OF THE HEAT UP TO BOISE....IT'S CCCCCCCCCOLD HERE!!

Thanks, Steve

17. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

Hey Steve

I am not sure on the exact position of the column. I don't have my seat in or the steering joint and shaft yet. The GoodGuys car show will be here in a couple weeks I plan on checking other peoples trucks. The GoodGuys show is great I can see what I like that other people did and what I don't like I will take a lot of pictures at the car show I'll let you know if I find anything out. I got my IFS off Ebay complete with cross member it was made by Chubby Chaisis but I think they went out of business for right now. It is pretty nice here low 80's in the day high 50's at night. Enjoy

18. backntyme55

backntyme55 Member

Hey Mark, Steve And Others I Have A Question Too. Pretty Much Same Project Here Just At A Different Stage Of Stalling Out. I Have The Tci Motor Mounts For The 350 Engine And The 700r4 Trans Crossmember (also Tci) My Delema Is With My Cab Still Off I Cant Tell Where The Distributor Will Hit The Firewall (precisely Anyway) To Go To The Next Step And Weld In The Motor Mounts. It Apperar That I May Be Going To Have To Move Slightly Up Onto The Superide Cross Member And Weld Partly On To It. I Would Really Like To See Another One Already Done. I Took Advantage Of The 5% Off And Got Some Patch Panels For My Cab So Thats Got To Come First Before I Get It Back On And Get Exact With It. I Think The Heat Is Over Now Mark No More 115 Degrees. If You See Something At Goodguys Take A Snap Shot For Me.THANKS PAUL

19. scarab777

scarab777 Member

x-members

hey t-time,
    you must be a golfer? 2 handicap here....love to tee it high and let it fly!

you had better wait and put the cab on the frame first before welding any crossmenbers in just to be sure. time is always on our side but impatience is not when building a project.

boise steve

20. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

I agree with Steve

If nothing else just set the cab on the frame and stick a couple bolts in it hand tight. With 4 people it goes on and comes off easy enough. It would be a real bad deal if later you found the distributor hit the firewall. From what I read if you have the big HEI distributor it is usually a close fit.