Help me choose a motor

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by zane_merrill, Jan 20, 2009.

1. zane_merrill

zane_merrill Member

I have a 64 1/2 ton with a straight six and a three speed. I would like to install a V-8 with a five speed. I was thinking of buying a 350 from jegs or finding a 283. I would prefer a 283 but I think finding one might be a little difficult. I found a website that sells rebuilt 283 shortblocks but the site doesn't seem very reputable. Which of these two motors might be the best idea? Also, how easily would these motors be to install and would a newer five-speed bolt right up? I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Dont know about the transmisson part but, I have a 63 and I put a 283 in mine with a little comp cam and it seems to do great. If there are any good junk yards around you ....you might get lucky and find one that don't need alot of work. I found mine at an old parts place in tomball they also sell parts for our trucks. Sorry if this does not help you ....good luck!!

3. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Just remembered the name of that place...its called "Outback truck parts"
    they might have a website not sure but, I know they are in tomball texas
    this is where I got my motor. good luck...btw I have been told also that the 283 holds up better than the 350 by sevral differnt guys and its a good strong motor.

4. zane_merrill

zane_merrill Member

How far is Tomball from Sulphur Springs, TX? I will be there for a week or two this summer so if its not too far away ill have to stop by that place. About how much was the total cost of the motor? How easy was the install? Thanks for the reply by the way

5. 198plus

198plus Member

I'm doing a frame off on a 65, decided on a 350 with a 700R Trans & 2500 stall.
    I got this far and at last minute .... I changed my mind :confused:

[​IMG]

Now I just finished my new BBC 402 it's 30 over

Should be right at 10.1 compression
    TRW Forged pistons...L2328F30.....319 dome

Special grind, Comp Cam....Hydraulic Roller
    235/240 @ 50 Duration
    570/578....Lift

820 Oval port heads 112cc

Edelbrock Performer Intake
    850 Holley Double Pumper

But good luck on what ever route ya go !!!!!!!!!!

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I used the GM HO 350 Crate motor from Pace Performance,
    http://www.paceperformance.com/

and 700 r4 trans from Bowtie Overdrive.
    http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml

Had a 305 with granny 4 speed with 3 :70 rear. Left rear ratio alone for the swap and went from 9 mpg to 22 mpg.

The HO 350 is a cast iron head with plenty of torque, 350/350. Simply add a starter an fuel pump and go....

Val

7. drabo

drabo Member

I'm runnig a 283 with a 700R4. I put a small cam and performer intake with 600cfm performer carb. It runs like a champ.

Besides the 283 is one hell of a mule. It has a shorter throw making it more durible. It can also be stroked out to a 302 (rember those from the 60's T/A series). However it doesn't put out a whole lot of HP. It is just personel prefreance. Also the 350 will probably cheaper.

8. zane_merrill

zane_merrill Member

Thanks for the advice Val. The 350 sounds like a good idea. How well does that motor bolt up to everything on these old trucks? I would like to find a 5-speed manual, would a new 350 or 283 bolt up to this tranny? Also, would my stock 3.73 rearend be able to stand up to the torque of a new 350?

9. dvalentine

If you have a V8 in there now, it will bolt right in. The 3.73, (12 bolt right?), will work perfect with the 700 r4. Good launch, nice around town manners, then on the freeway, 1,800 - 2,100 rpm in 4th.
    The crate motors "usually" come ready for an auto trans, with flex plate already mounted. If you decide on a manual 5 speed you will need a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Also, go with a Tremic and not a Borge Warner 5 speed. And yes, it will bolt up to the crate motor. Not positive about the 283.

val

10. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Sorry for not answering you sooner, been a little busy....anyway Tomball is down near the north side of Houston area more towards the woodlands.
    I paid $600 for the motor and then took it to a machine shop to have it redone, I added a pro comp cam along with a edlebrock intake and edlebrock 650 carb. This gave me some more power and it has done me well. Like stated above it is a mule of a motor but, with the right combantion it can be stronger and maybe even faster than a 350...just my opion.
    And yes the 283 was simple to hook up and easy to install, as a matter of fact I did it myself no problem. Hope this helps you out..good luck!!

11. drabo

drabo Member

Gen I and II small blocks have the same bolt pattern. So if you go with a 350, 283, 302, 305 or 383 ect they will bolt up to a powerglide, th350, th400, 4l60e, 700R4.

12. csumjr

csumjr Member

Answering the second question

You can swap out the engine in a few hours.....look for, and disconnect all ground connections, and mark and label ALL wires to chassis. Unbolt from trans, secure crane, and unbolt motor mounts, with 2 good friends, and a good Saturday afternoon, you can have it done before the 4:00 o'clock beer break. Good Luck.

13. zane_merrill

zane_merrill Member

Thanks for the reply. However, i have a straight six in there now, do i have to install a crossmember or mess with the motor mounts very much?

14. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

If I recall no on the crossmember but, you might need a different set of
    motor mounts. I remember having to replace mine with wider ones.
    What motor have you chossen?

15. zane_merrill

zane_merrill Member

I guess im gonna end up goin with a new 350. it seems like the best idea. Now I just have to find a 5-speed manual to go with it

16. dvalentine

For the 5 speed manual an aftermarket automatic crossmember made for our trucks will be all you need to support the 5 speed trans. The bellhousing crossmember will not be needed.

Val

17. Eman

Eman Member

thanks for posting

My 66 needs a swap and this post has helped. thanks everybody.

18. 65Monster

65Monster Member

Engine Swap

Just one more thing. I picked up my '65 with 4x4 set up a couple years ago and the previous owner put in a big block 502. Love the power and torque but have concerns with trying to keep it cool during the summer months. Don't think the opening in the grill is big enough for a big block and am still working on the issue. it's not like a big opening on a Bel Aire... I would stick with a small block no matter what.:cool:

19. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

A four row Champion alum rad will cool a big block no problems, in fact there are several people running three row champion rad with big block with no issues..do a eBay search to find their site, truck year specifc, they fit like a glove. Mine is a three row $ 220 delivered to my door, put a five blade clutch fan on and a shroud (very important ) and your done.....

20. 65Monster

65Monster Member

Thanks Rich,

I talked to an old school 4x4 mechanic and he told me something similar. Also told me with the CA climate I should run the trans cooler for the TH400 separate from the radiator which would also help both cooling issues.