Help Putting A 54 Box On A 52

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by oldyeller, Dec 20, 2007.

1. oldyeller

oldyeller Member

Hi I Am A First Time User. I Need Some Help.i Am Trying To Put A 1954 Box On A 1952 Chevy Truck. I Need To Know What Wood Blocks To Use Also What Runningboard Splash Aprons To Use.will It Work?what Problems Will I Run In To?anyadvise Or Measurements Would Be Great. Thanks

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Welcome to the group!

BTW, loved your movie, hated the ending!:eek:

Interesting question. The 54 frame and bed required no wood block spacers due to the new frame and bed design. Now putting a 54 bed on a 52 frame is a different animal (kinda like a golden retriever:rolleyes:).

Gonna have to think about that one. I'm sure that us knuckleheads will figure something out.

Again, welcome! We'll figure this one out.

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Thought about it some more and came up with a few things. First thing, the tailgate is taller on a 54 than it is on the 47-53, bedside rails are different on the 54 vs the pre 54. Splash aprons are different also.

That's not to say that something can't be worked out. Guys, help me out here!

4. oldyeller

oldyeller Member

thanks many be you guys can help me figure this out. i have it stilling on the truck just having problems getting it fit.and gettng the height of the blocks and running boards lined up.

5. coilover

coilover Member

The 52 bed will fit on the 54 with custom wood blocks but haven't done one the other way around. Most like the looks of the shallower bed better for some reason. I would have the 52 running boards and filler panels in place, then lower the 54 bed complete with fenders down till it touched the top of the filler panels. A hoist and cradle to hold the bed level and be able to move it a tiny bit at a time would be a real asset for this job. When it touched the filler panels if the holes in the running board are way out of place from the holes in the back fender then a custom filler panel might have to be fabricated. They're a very simple panel so that's doable. Here's a pic of a 47-53 on a 54 and one of how we run a tape line across the back of a cab to set the desired bed height, in this case an AD bed on an S10 chassis.

Attached Files:

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow

Genious @ work there Evan ! .

Keep up the good work .

7. Zig

Zig Member

You rock, Evan! I'm in awe! You (I know, I know, you and your "crew") do killer work! I'm glad I don't live near your shop~ you'd REALLY be tired of me by now!

8. wi49

wi49 Member

Oldyeller,
    The main problem you're going to have is the frame where is goes up over the rear end. The rise is quite a bit higher on the '52 due to the shallower bed. You may end up having to do some cutting to get a '54 bed to sit down low enough to look right.

9. put-put

put-put Member

You guys got it as usual. i had 2 54's and both chassis were rusted out right behind the cab ( bed tilts forward and water runs to front of bed). The solution i had to use was to keep the 54 rear frame and cut sections out of the older model to weld into the 54. the bed being taller and the hump over the drive being different were the problem. Keep the 54 shape and just use pieces from the 52 frame; that's the solution i had to use.

BOL...