Help w/ Part Identification

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 47chevy, Aug 11, 2007.

1. 47chevy

47chevy Member

Recently bought a '52 pick-up that came with a bunch of extra parts. I believe the part pictured is the spare tire carrier, can someone confirm this? Does it attach to the side of the bed or on the frame? Any idea on what this is worth?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  2. put-put

put-put Member

I have both the side and under carriage spare tire h/w. this doesn't look like either

3. sloromon

sloromon Member

same here, i've never seen anything like it. maybe it's a whatchamawhosit.

jon

4. 1950gmc girl

1950gmc girl Member

They kind of look like the brackets that you would mount to the rear sides of the box if you want to add brakelights/blinkers. Like if you were going to pull a trailor or something, and you need the extra lights that stick out on the side. Just a thought, my grandfather had some on his old truck for that very reason. Hard to say though.

5. Zig

Zig Member

I believe it could be a spare tire mount that goes on the side of the bed between posts. The longest leg goes down and bolts to the running board. (?)
    Just a guess~

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bearing in mind I'm on static filled crappy DailUp service and a cheapo free computer , those fuzzy pictures look to me like a hommade spare tire carrier , don't toss it out unless you :

A : have a correct factory one now

*and/or*

B : are building a show truck for points .

My old 1946 3100 series shop truck had a similar thing for it's side mounted spare tire carrier except it was built out of 1/4" steel plate and was designed to hold the entire truck up if ever the need arose.... :D

I'd sooner have a hommade sidemount carrier than an underbed one .

7. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Don't quote me on this, but it kinda looks like an aftermarket "inside bed" bolt on spare tire carrier.

8. coilover

coilover Member

Definitely a homemade side mount spare tire bracket. Have seen several that used the flat strap, channel, or angle for the arms and the round disc with the three lug bolts. The factory mount has round tubing arms and a triangular plate with the lug bolts. I also like the side mount spare since I grew up in farm country on unpaved roads. Digging a spare out from under a truck on a mud road or in the snow didn't rate very high with me. When your on your belly in the mud then looks have a very low priority.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Evan Forgot To Mention :

With a fresh load of wet manure oozing out under the bottom of the tailgate & into your ear......

:D

Yeah , maybe once or twice happened to me . :rolleyes:

-Nate

10. 47chevy

47chevy Member

Thanks!

Thanks, appreciate the all the input! You may just see it on eBay listed as a whatchamawhosit...

I may clean it up and see how it looks on my '47.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007